• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

plasma TV's with integrated digital box

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasma TV's with integrated digital box

Currently we're watching digital TV via a freeview box and, because my partner wants to watch Setanta, we had to get a box which also had a card reader (which not all of them do).

My query is that we're getting a plasma TV with built-in digital box and we have no information on whether these built-in digital boxes also have the appropriate card slots.

I know they have SD card slots but that isn't the same thing.

Does anybody out there know if we can use the Setanta subscription card in our new TV?
    Or does it depend upon the model of TV?

Thanks in advance........
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    Currently we're watching digital TV via a freeview box and, because my partner wants to watch Setanta, we had to get a box which also had a card reader (which not all of them do).

My query is that we're getting a plasma TV with built-in digital box and we have no information on whether these built-in digital boxes also have the appropriate card slots.

I know they have SD card slots but that isn't the same thing.

Does anybody out there know if we can use the Setanta subscription card in our new TV?
    Or does it depend upon the model of TV?

Thanks in advance........
    I certainly have a plasma TV with digital - but no card reader for Setanta.

Comment

There's a new telly come out with an integrated freesat tuner. I know it doesn't specifically answer the question but I thought I'd throw that one in...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        There's a new telly come out with an integrated freesat tuner. I know it doesn't specifically answer the question but I thought I'd throw that one in...

Not worried about freesat because you need a satellite dish for that and if we could have that we'd have SKY+ instead.

Lots of plasma TV's have built-in digital boxes.

Comment

Not worried about freesat because you need a satellite dish for that and if we could have that we'd have SKY+ instead.

Lots of plasma TV's have built-in digital boxes.
          You need extra gubbins - a conditional access module (CAM). Most plasmas & lcds have a slot to plug this in - but check your destruction manual..

This forum might help...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/gtsea...sa=Search#1299
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

They are certainly out there, like this one.

You're not sying what model your telly is though. That would be a start but, ultimately, Google is your friend...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Setanta

What you need is a CAM - Conditional Access Module - to go into the common Interface slot on the back or side of your TV. The CAM takes and reads your Setanta card, thereby allowing you to receive the signal.

Top-Up TV is the same.

Most modern TVs have a CI or CAM slot.

Kenny

As above, check Gooooogle. Comet and Argos sell what you need. By the telly you want and away you go.
              Last edited by Ken Dodd; 16 October 2008, 10:27. Reason: additional information

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                They are certainly out there, like this one.

You're not sying what model your telly is though. That would be a start but, ultimately, Google is your friend...

It's a Panasonic TH-50PX8B 50" Plasma TV but according to some specs I've read it doesn't have a CI slot......

it's ok...just read this

Common interface (CI) port

Setanta Sports and Top-Up TV are additional subscription services to Freeview and require a smart card to watch. Most Top-Up TV viewers will use a special Top-Up receiver/PVR but Setanta viewers can use any IDTV, set top box or PVR that has a card reader.
                The card reader fits into the CI port – and according to a European directive this CI port must be present on any TV with a DVB-T (Freeview) tuner. Occasionally we do come across models without a CI port, which won’t be of any interest to most consumers but nevertheless makes the product technically illegal.
                The card reader or CAM (conditional access modules) which slots into the CI port costs about £40-£50
                Last edited by KathyWoolfe; 16 October 2008, 12:45. Reason: additional info

Comment

recently got a CAM from setanta

easy enough to install and no problems now.

interestingly enough I only got one from setanta as i struglled to get one from anywhere else - and this was only a few months ago

Comment

It's a Panasonic TH-50PX8B 50" Plasma TV but according to some specs I've read it doesn't have a CI slot......
                    It does according to Panasonic's specs:

Common Interface Terminal to accommodate Conditional Access Module for additional Digital services

Comment

Working...
                    X