• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proper merchant account.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper merchant account.

Okay, here's what my ltd company needs.

1. To be able to take visa/mastercard credit AND debit cards online
    2. Low per transactions (each transaction will vary from about £200 to £2000)
    3. Reliable and SAFE. Don't want to lose this money!

Anyone got any suggestions? Paypal and all that other easy peasy pants is not good when the w@nkers take like 4% off your £2K, greedy little feckers.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Okay, here's what my ltd company needs.

1. To be able to take visa/mastercard credit AND debit cards online
    2. Low per transactions (each transaction will vary from about £200 to £2000)
    3. Reliable and SAFE. Don't want to lose this money!

Anyone got any suggestions? Paypal and all that other easy peasy pants is not good when the w@nkers take like 4% off your £2K, greedy little feckers.
    Have you spoken to your bank?

Preferably not the Bangalore Branch!
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Yes it all gets very complicated and expensive.

Open merchant account (e.g. Barclays, HSBC), then sort out payment processing, digital certs, blah. Everyone wants to charge £100's to setup, £100's per month, X percentage to process payment, blah.

Complex and fecking expensive. They say things like "our merchant account and processing system is great value for companies processing upwards of £900,000,000 a yr in credit cards." Feck off you stupid dinosaur banks.

Someone out there must have a simple payment gateway that is cheap for companies processing multiple £200 - £2000 payments. Probably less than 100K a yr.
      Last edited by DimPrawn; 9 September 2005, 12:13.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        Someone out there must have a simple payment gateway that is cheap for companies processing multiple £200 - £2000 payments. Probably less than 100K a yr.
        I explored this at some length last year, and is seemed not. All of the clearing banks just laugh at you unless you operate out of a bricks and mortar shop. I did manage to interest NatWest who offered me their Slipstream product, but they wanted a £10k bond so I told them to feck off. There are no questions asked operators, but they make PayPal's charges look cheap - one I found was charging 30%.

Unless you have a business premises and/or you can persuade them that most of your transactions are face-to-face, the only realistic options are the likes of Worldpay or PayPal.

Comment

Some while back atW asked the same thing and I recommended Worlpay whom I had found not too bad pricewise. Turns out they had put prices up quite a bit after I signed up. (Or sensibly they did not like moustachioed Russians). May still be worth checking tho. as service seems pretty good, is pretty easy to link to and there is no lower turnover limit. Our credit card sales barely cover the £160 annual fees but we have not been asked to take our business elsewhere yet.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

datacash ?

they were going to set up some sort of bureau service - dont know if they ever did.

Do I also remember something about Mal's ecomerce gateway ? Cant be bothered to google.

Comment

Magazine

Get the October issue of Practical Web Design Dim, it's got a useful article on various gateways and some good links and stuff, eg. www.electronic-payments.co.uk
              Last edited by Arthur Guinness; 17 September 2005, 00:12.
              Look after your red cousins...
              www.orangutan.org.uk

=( : ( ))

Comment

Whatever you do

Stay away from the HSBC system. It is a NIGHTMARE.

Comment

What about secpay They have a number of different schemes and transaction payment methods,

brid

Comment

Working...
                  X