• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Home Servers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Home Servers

I'm looking into getting one for storing all my media and doing automated backups etc, has anyone had any experiences with these? Noise, reliability etc?

Thanks
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

why not just get a data storage device?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
      I'm looking into getting one for storing all my media and doing automated backups etc, has anyone had any experiences with these? Noise, reliability etc?

Thanks
      Works for me.

Mine is a bit noisy, but that's a hardware thing.

Comment

Did they fix the bug where you lost/couldn't get at your data?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Or try OpenFiler:

http://www.openfiler.com/
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I don't trust it any more. I was a Beta tester for the RC1 version.

Tried removing a HDD from the pool, it spent hours saying it was migrating data from the drive to be removed into the remaining pool. Eventually said it was done.

Turned out it gave up half way through and just deleted half the data

Generally found it slow due to (seemingly) constantly reorganising data on the disks.

Otherwise, it's good
            Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
              I don't trust it any more. I was a Beta tester for the RC1 version.

Tried removing a HDD from the pool, it spent hours saying it was migrating data from the drive to be removed into the remaining pool. Eventually said it was done.

Turned out it gave up half way through and just deleted half the data

Generally found it slow due to (seemingly) constantly reorganising data on the disks.

Otherwise, it's good
              The continual re-organising (balancing) of the data has been fixed along with the data corruption bug.

Comment

Originally posted by spoons View Post
                The continual re-organising (balancing) of the data has been fixed along with the data corruption bug.

Yeah it just throws your data down a black hole.

About the only thing I like is how it pools all your drives into one big storage area, that you then access through more meaningful shared folders. With the shared folders being automatically backed up across different drives if desired.

The interface is straight forward too.

Currently got about 1.5TB space on my WHS (Windows Home Server in this case), though it's rapidly running out. Hopefully the task of swapping out an old 130gb drive for a new 1TB one, now they're cheaper than chips, will be as painless as m$ say. Oh well, worse case scenario is I have to re-download all my 'stuff' again.

Never bothered with the auto-backup as I don't trust it to start-up and shutdown my PC/laptop properly, so I just do a manual backup now and then.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by spoons View Post
                  This wasn't the corruption bug, it just wiped the data. The system is quite good at adding drives to the pool but wasn't that great at removing(seems you're only supposed to add drives )
                  Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
                    This wasn't the corruption bug, it just wiped the data. The system is quite good at adding drives to the pool but wasn't that great at removing(seems you're only supposed to add drives )
                    To be honest I haven't removed any drives (yet)

As with all Microsoft products don't expect everything to work 100% 1st time

Comment

Working...
                    X