• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

parsing tab delimited text files using windows scripting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parsing tab delimited text files using windows scripting

Been looking for a basic tutorial on how to do this,

I'm using winautomation to script a bunch of tasks and one of them is to read plain text in tab delimited csv files and then copy and paste it here and there.

is there a good, easy-to-follow tutorial anyone can point me in the direction of?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

I'm using winautomation to script a bunch of tasks and one of them is to read plain text in tab delimited csv files and then copy and paste it here and there.

is there a good, easy-to-follow tutorial anyone can point me in the direction of?
    use log parser
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

If LogParser doesn't do what you need, answer the following questions and I'll write a good, easy-to-follow tutorial for you, with working code

1. When you say "tab delimited csv files", am I right in assuming that you mean "tab separated values", and that commas (as in "comma separated values") don't come into it?

2. What do you mean by "copy and paste it here and there"? Do you mean opening other text files and inserting or appending values, putting stuff in a database, inserting stuff into spreadsheets, or any and possibly all of these?

3. It probably doesn't matter, but what text encoding are these files in - ISO Latin 1, UTF-8, Windows 1252?

4. Does the first line of the file contain the names of the fields? Is it possible that some of them will and some may not, or is it safe to always treat the first non-blank line as having that information?
      Last edited by NickFitz; 8 October 2008, 16:46.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        If LogParser doesn't do what you need, answer the following questions and I'll write a good, easy-to-follow tutorial for you, with working code

1. When you say "tab delimited csv files", am I right in assuming that you mean "tab separated values", and that commas (as in "comma separated values") don't come into it?

2. What do you mean by "copy and paste it here and there"? Do you mean opening other text files and inserting or appending values, putting stuff in a database, inserting stuff into spreadsheets, or any and possibly all of these?

3. It probably doesn't matter, but what text encoding are these files in - ISO Latin 1, UTF-8, Windows 1252?

4. Does the first line of the file contain the names of the fields? Is it possible that some of them will and some may not, or is it safe to always treat the first non-blank line as having that information?
        I think he's been sacked for trashing Domain Controller registries and wiping hard drives.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

PM sent!
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
          X