• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WIndows Server Domain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    I did have, but I recently retired it in favour of a QNAP NAS.
    what sort and how much do they retail for?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
      1) Install Windows Server 2003
      2) Start -> Run -> DCpromo

Follow the wizard... you have AD with DNS, DHCP etc etc all preinstalled and configured.

Oppps... did I just let a massive secret outta the bag on that one? lol

HTH
      TM
      That's £1000 a day consultancy you have just blown there

Comment

So this can be done afterwards at any time...good enough for me.

I've already told my client its a couple hundred more for all that.
        I was just gonna go peer-to-peer..which is how I have running my office of 8 PCs.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          what sort and how much do they retail for?
          I went for the QNAP TS-209 Pro II and it was around £250 quid for the NAS itself, then I picked up a couple of 1TB Samsung drives to go with it.

The TS-509 Pro also looks like a decent bit of kit, but that's closer to £600.

The "Pro" models support Active Directory for integration into a Windows based network.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            So this can be done afterwards at any time...good enough for me.

I've already told my client its a couple hundred more for all that.
            I was just gonna go peer-to-peer..which is how I have running my office of 8 PCs.
            I would go for the domain.

You can then setup roaming profiles on a seperate NAS device to allow them to log into any machine and take their documents + settings within them.

Secondly, the NAS ought to be redundant in the case of failure. You can then tape backup from a single source.

Domain = 30 mins work. But you can charge a day to get it all configured (i would). Some things like DNS, user accounts etc can take a little while to setup.

Configuring roaming profiles, takes a bloody week to iron out all the cracks!

TM
            Last edited by themistry; 1 October 2008, 11:25.

Comment

Originally posted by spoons View Post
              That's £1000 a day consultancy you have just blown there

Comment

Or get them to buy a cheap server with Linux, there is a package called Samba that can make Linux a DC if you really want to.

Ubuntu do a relatively OK server version
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Or get them to buy a cheap server with Linux, there is a package called Samba that can make Linux a DC if you really want to.
                  Makes a change from "Get a Mac"
                  SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post

Ubuntu do a relatively OK server version
                    I've got Ubuntu in my office - SAMBA, CUPS, dnsmasq, ntp on a
                    Celeron 667Mhz, 640M RAM...runs brilliant. As long as I don't use the GUI..

I offered Linux as a free server..but apparently he has a off-site person who is gonna use LogMeIn and thus would need Windows on the target.

Apparently the client gets "free" Windows licences from his brother who is a director of a company..hmmmmm
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X