• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WIndows Server Domain"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Or get them to buy a cheap server with Linux, there is a package called Samba that can make Linux a DC if you really want to.

Ubuntu do a relatively OK server version
    I've got Ubuntu in my office - SAMBA, CUPS, dnsmasq, ntp on a
    Celeron 667Mhz, 640M RAM...runs brilliant. As long as I don't use the GUI..

I offered Linux as a free server..but apparently he has a off-site person who is gonna use LogMeIn and thus would need Windows on the target.

Apparently the client gets "free" Windows licences from his brother who is a director of a company..hmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    Or get them to buy a cheap server with Linux, there is a package called Samba that can make Linux a DC if you really want to.
    Makes a change from "Get a Mac"

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied

Ubuntu do a relatively OK server version

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Originally posted by spoons View Post
    That's £1000 a day consultancy you have just blown there

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    So this can be done afterwards at any time...good enough for me.

I've already told my client its a couple hundred more for all that.
    I was just gonna go peer-to-peer..which is how I have running my office of 8 PCs.
    I would go for the domain.

You can then setup roaming profiles on a seperate NAS device to allow them to log into any machine and take their documents + settings within them.

Secondly, the NAS ought to be redundant in the case of failure. You can then tape backup from a single source.

Domain = 30 mins work. But you can charge a day to get it all configured (i would). Some things like DNS, user accounts etc can take a little while to setup.

Configuring roaming profiles, takes a bloody week to iron out all the cracks!

TM
    Last edited by themistry; 1 October 2008, 11:25.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    what sort and how much do they retail for?
    I went for the QNAP TS-209 Pro II and it was around £250 quid for the NAS itself, then I picked up a couple of 1TB Samsung drives to go with it.

The TS-509 Pro also looks like a decent bit of kit, but that's closer to £600.

The "Pro" models support Active Directory for integration into a Windows based network.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    So this can be done afterwards at any time...good enough for me.

I've already told my client its a couple hundred more for all that.
    I was just gonna go peer-to-peer..which is how I have running my office of 8 PCs.

Leave a comment:

• spoons
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    1) Install Windows Server 2003
    2) Start -> Run -> DCpromo

Follow the wizard... you have AD with DNS, DHCP etc etc all preinstalled and configured.

Oppps... did I just let a massive secret outta the bag on that one? lol

HTH
    TM
    That's £1000 a day consultancy you have just blown there

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    I did have, but I recently retired it in favour of a QNAP NAS.
    what sort and how much do they retail for?

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    i have windows server 2003 as part of my home setup..
    I did have, but I recently retired it in favour of a QNAP NAS.

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    1) Install Windows Server 2003
    2) Start -> Run -> DCpromo

Follow the wizard... you have AD with DNS, DHCP etc etc all preinstalled and configured.

Oppps... did I just let a massive secret outta the bag on that one? lol

HTH
    TM

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    i have windows server 2003 as part of my home setup..

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Got a client that has bought WIndows server 2003 and wants it installed. How difficult is it. I've told him not to bother with a domain...there are only five PC's (including the server).

Seems a bit overkill to buy server...but the man has more money than IT sense.
    I know it's a small environment, but could the company expand in the future? I know what they are asking for is a technical overkill, but there is no real harm in having a DC set up. That way, you can deploy GPO scripts / applications without having to kick the users off their pc. If the company plans to use Exchange (even for pop mail retrieval), then Active Directory is pretty much mandatory. May be worth the hassle for now for long term gains.

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    Got a client that has bought WIndows server 2003 and wants it installed. How difficult is it. I've told him not to bother with a domain...there are only five PC's (including the server).

Seems a bit overkill to buy server...but the man has more money than IT sense.
    Why don't you make him/her buy the server - good spec, then just peer-to-peer the XP/vista desktops, then sell the server! If he asks where it is, just say it's locked up safe somewhere, where only admins should access!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Hee heee.. I had to look up Team Fortress...

I might suggest it to him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X