• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WIndows Server Domain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIndows Server Domain

Got a client that has bought WIndows server 2003 and wants it installed. How difficult is it. I've told him not to bother with a domain...there are only five PC's (including the server).

Seems a bit overkill to buy server...but the man has more money than IT sense.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Pretty straightforward - there are plenty of walkthroughs on the net.

What are they planning to use the box for? If they are just after a central box for file sharing then they might be better off with a NAS from the likes of QNAP, Synology, Thecus, NetGear, etc.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Yeah just file sharing and a LogMeIn target....I suggested Windows XP Pro or Vista business...but as I said...
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Yeah just file sharing and a LogMeIn target....I suggested Windows XP Pro or Vista business...but as I said...
        Might as well get a bit more value from it and stick a Team Fortress 2 server on there as well then

Comment

Hee heee.. I had to look up Team Fortress...

I might suggest it to him.

Comment

Got a client that has bought WIndows server 2003 and wants it installed. How difficult is it. I've told him not to bother with a domain...there are only five PC's (including the server).

Why don't you make him/her buy the server - good spec, then just peer-to-peer the XP/vista desktops, then sell the server! If he asks where it is, just say it's locked up safe somewhere, where only admins should access!

Comment

I know it's a small environment, but could the company expand in the future? I know what they are asking for is a technical overkill, but there is no real harm in having a DC set up. That way, you can deploy GPO scripts / applications without having to kick the users off their pc. If the company plans to use Exchange (even for pop mail retrieval), then Active Directory is pretty much mandatory. May be worth the hassle for now for long term gains.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

i have windows server 2003 as part of my home setup..
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

1) Install Windows Server 2003
                  2) Start -> Run -> DCpromo

Follow the wizard... you have AD with DNS, DHCP etc etc all preinstalled and configured.

Oppps... did I just let a massive secret outta the bag on that one? lol

HTH
                  TM

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    i have windows server 2003 as part of my home setup..
                    I did have, but I recently retired it in favour of a QNAP NAS.

Comment

Working...
                    X