• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office 2008 for Mac...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office 2008 for Mac...

Is it just me, or does Office 2008 Mac suck donkeys balls?

I need Office. I have NeoOffice (OpenOffice) which does for day to day stuff, but I really do need pukka Office for compatibility with the rest of the world.

Up until recently, I've used Office 2007 in a VM (Fusion), which works well, but I really wanted a native OS X solution.

So, like a big fool, I shell out on Office 2008 for Mac.

What an absolute effing turd!

Now, it could be me at fault here, but I can't for the life of me see why dragging a table border or column divider in Word should cause the app to hang, end unexpectedly, or have to be forcibly quit.

As well as randomly hanging/freezing. It seems generally slow, bloated, clumsy and generally pants.

Am I just doing it wrong? Anybody have great and groovy experiences with Office 2008 for Mac?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Is it just me, or does Office 2008 Mac suck donkeys balls?
    Yes it does. Had the trial and thought nothing new here for me.

I use Office 2004 for Mac - does everything I need.

This constant updating for updating sake belongs with MS bloat-ware and should not be migrated to Mac.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Havn't used 2008, sticking with 2004 since it does everything perfectly well and 2008 offers no great improvements.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Havn't used 2008, sticking with 2004 since it does everything perfectly well and 2008 offers no great improvements.
        Where the heck can I get a legit copy of Office 2004 for Mac?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Yes it does. Had the trial and thought nothing new here for me.

I use Office 2004 for Mac - does everything I need.

This constant updating for updating sake belongs with MS bloat-ware and should not be migrated to Mac.
          Yeah, but to be fair, iTunes and QuickTime (megabloatware) also seem to want to constantly update for the sake of it on my Mac.

Comment

Where the heck can I get a legit copy of Office 2004 for Mac?
            These guys still sell it. I bougfht mine from Apple when I bought the Mac.

Otherwsie a quick google gets some results
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

So the consensus is don't bother upgrading, yes?
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Yeah, but to be fair, iTunes and QuickTime (megabloatware) also seem to want to constantly update for the sake of it on my Mac.
                You're not wrong. The latest update in itunes seems to have reliability issues with the airtunes link through my BT hub. Resetting the hub seems to do the trick but it's becoming rather annoying now.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  So the consensus is don't bother upgrading, yes?
                  Were is Churchhill when you need him:

OOOhhhhh yes

Comment

Thats why I refuse to infect my Windows XP with it!
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X