• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Photo negatives to Digital

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo negatives to Digital

Anyone recommend either a) A good place to get it done to a good quality, or B) Some good kit to buy to do it?

Missus went down to happy snaps to ask , and they were charging £12 a roll to create 2 megapixles copies!?!? (Best they could do)
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Anyone recommend either a) A good place to get it done to a good quality, or B) Some good kit to buy to do it?

Missus went down to happy snaps to ask , and they were charging £12 a roll to create 2 megapixles copies!?!? (Best they could do)
    Nikon Coolscan. Be warned it takes time: even at 5 mins real time per exposure that's 3 hours for a 36-exp roll!

I use Peak Imaging (www.peak-imaging.co.uk) for my processing and get them to scan at the same time. Then I do any really good shots on my Coolscan. Since there are not many of those, it doesn't take up a lot of time.

If you are thinking of scanning a big back catalogue of negs, do think carefully if that is how you want to spend your life.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Nikon Coolscan. Be warned it takes time: even at 5 mins real time per exposure that's 3 hours for a 36-exp roll!

I use Peak Imaging (www.peak-imaging.co.uk) for my processing and get them to scan at the same time. Then I do any really good shots on my Coolscan. Since there are not many of those, it doesn't take up a lot of time.

If you are thinking of scanning a big back catalogue of negs, do think carefully if that is how you want to spend your life.
      Thanks.

Ouch those scan things are expensive!!

Thinking maybe buy one on ebay, use it and re-sell - whatdya reckon?
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
        Thanks.

Ouch those scan things are expensive!!

Thinking maybe buy one on ebay, use it and re-sell - whatdya reckon?
        Well, there is the model V (= LS-50 ED) for 450-500, then the 5000 for twice that. That's the pro model. Same resolution etc.

I wouldn't buy one on ebay, if it's been dropped then it may never focus right: you'll never know for sure but you won't be satisfied with it. It's a real case of "just why is it on ebay?".

Remember it's like a sensitive camera mechanism with extra mechanicals too. That's why it's sensitive: add in the fact that it isn't mass-market, and that explains the cost.

No way round it really. There are cheaper scanners, and some may be OK, but there is more to quality than the numbers. It is like a camera, 2 of them may have the same pixel resolution, but one may be much superior in lens quality and so actual image quality. That's before you bring in the question of dynamic range (DMax) which basically tells you how deep it can see in the dark parts of your photos: that will affect the results too.

You can get flatbed scanners with neg attachments, maybe you could try one out. I have an Epson 4990 or this (to scan Medium Format negs) and although I am not unhappy with i, it is a lesser option: I'd say that with a bit of care it does a decent job of scanning MF up to about the quality equivalent to an 8-10 Mp digital camera. that's not bad but it's not what I use MF for: in 35mm (if that's what you've got) it would be a way to get scanned copies of snaps & pics for the web, but not much more I'd say.

Are you looking to scan a back stock, or just start from about now? Are you looking for quality comparable to what you have in the negative, or just 10*15cm prints, and web stuff? You have to decide, and spend accordingly. Photo stuff has always been thus.

Comment

we had a thread about this recently

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...negatives.html
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
          X