• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop purchase in Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

obsolete
    Last edited by engineer; 20 June 2012, 00:53.

Comment

Originally posted by engineer View Post
      Hello, could you say more about the location / name?

I had been in Darmstadt recently at the notebookshop (http://www.notebook.de/) They have all the current laps at reasonable prices, but the sales guys are even worse than in "Media Markt" or "Saturn" (which is hardly possible, I thought).
      MediaMarkt and Saturn are the same company (sorry it's in German). There was a bit of a stink about them in the German press a couple or so years ago for advertising kit at low prices when they didn't have any in stock.

I've also bought things like interface cards from them only to find out they are obsolete. I for one won't touch them anymore.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        I've also bought things like interface cards from them only to find out they are obsolete. I for one won't touch them anymore.
        Personally, I don't buy any hardware without doing some proper internet research first so I know exactly what I want.
        And then I only buy from a shop (which are generally more expensive) if
        a. I can't wait
        b. i want an excuse to get out for a bit
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Personally, I don't buy any hardware without doing some proper internet research first so I know exactly what I want.
          And then I only buy from a shop (which are generally more expensive) if
          a. I can't wait
          b. i want an excuse to get out for a bit
          There's also the cost of waiting in for deliveries when you are on a contract with bags of overtime available. That can easily swing things the other way.

I actually did the research on some high performance disks before buying them at MediaMarkt. They looked like the dogs bollocks until I got them home and found they had non-standard connectors on them (the labelling lied). Got my money back there, but it was a hassle I could have done without.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
          X