• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hot n sweaty laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hot n sweaty laptop

I currently have the following 2 yr old laptop:

Toshiba Satellite Pro A120-161

Key Features
    -Intel® Centrino® Core™2 Duo Processor T7400 @ 2.16Ghz
    -2 x 2Gb 667MHz SODIMM RAM
    -120 GB Hard Disk Drive + 320Gb portable HD
    -15.4" WXGA TFT display
    -Windows XP® Professional
    -weighs 2.8kg

the problem is the fan is whirring almost constantly unless I turn down the processor speed to 50-60%, cooling is set to Battery Optimised rather than High Performance (always on). The laptop is on a riser so there is air getting to the underside of it.

the office i'm in is almost silent and now it's just f##king me off that there is this constant high pitch sound from the fan.

I'm thinking of 2 solutions:

1) buy a laptop cooling device, such as Vantec Lapcool (although you cant find them in the Uk anywhere), must be usb powered and quiet, any suggestions?

or

2) new laptop time, something that is:
    - around £1,200-£1500
    - 4gb RAM
    - 15" Widescreen
    - weight <= 2.8kg
    - min 120Gb HD
    - runs quietly
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Check all the vents are clear and no build up of bumfluff and crud?

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

2) new laptop time, something that is:
      - around £1,200-£1500
      - 4gb RAM
      - 15" Widescreen
      - weight <= 2.8kg
      - min 120Gb HD
      - runs quietly
      I bought a Dell 17XX (17 inch screen) Dual Core Intel 2ghz with 4GB RAM, Vista Business some huge HDD (250GB I think) for £500 on one of their special offers (half price RAM and no delivery charge).

Quiet as a mouse and cheap as chips!

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...0917126A&s=bsd

Comment

Chef this has all the hallmarks of a laptop full of dust and fluff, if you're capable of using a screwdriver and common sense you can usually remove the fan assembly and maybe get at the heatsinks to remove the dust.

I haven't taken a Toshiba to bits in quite a while, but I would be surprised if there aren't a few simple access panels to allow you to get at the fan. Turn the laptop upside down and utilise the mark 1 eyeball method on the base and rear spine.

Alternatively sell it to me for a fiver and I'll fix it in 10 mins

Comment

Or try canned air.

Or sell it to me for £10

Comment

put in fridge when not in use.
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by ft101 View Post
              Or try canned air.

Or sell it to me for £10
              Used this many times, get one with a straw to use as a nozzle (a la WD40) and shove it in all the vents on the lappy.
              Works a treat
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                Used this many times, get one with a straw to use as a nozzle (a la WD40) and shove it in all the vents on the lappy.
                Works a treat
                Except be sure not to use Wd40!!

Comment

And hope to hell that you don't blow the crud into a congealed lump onto the motherboard with condensation all over it.
                  Only ever use a compressed air duster on bits you've taken out first.

I'll go to £15 quid btw Chef

Comment

ahh yes, the obvious, i didn't think of that, i'll go purchase some canned air and give under the keyboard keys a blast while i'm at it..

thanks all
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X