• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virus cum Trojan cum Worm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leopard is a must have for one thing - Time Machine. It *will* save your life...
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      At PreviousClientCorp, the MacBook they provided was running Leopard - this was starting in January, so it would have been .0 or .1. I found it had the odd performance issue, though only affecting cosmetic stuff (e.g. the rotating-screen switch to/from the login screen would stall half way through, then rush to catch up with itself at the last moment), and the Spaces multiple-desktop capability has been implemented in a silly way.

A number of these things were improved with incremental releases, including an option to change the way Spaces works to something that fits better with my workflow... but by then I'd given up on it.

However, there are a number of small but significant enhancements to the standard apps that are worth having. For example, I spend a lot of time in Terminal, and it now has tabs - given that I usually have half-a-dozen or more shells (local or remote) open at a time when developing, this is an absolute godsend. Preview has developed some useful image manipulation capabilities, although they were a bit unstable in earlier releases, and then I got the client to install Photoshop anyway, and didn't need them.

I still haven't bothered upgrading my own machine, but when I get around to installing the new hard drive I might do so. But I'll have a play with an in-store display model first, just to see if that slight clunkiness has definitely gone away.

But I miss tabs in Terminal...
      Tabs in terminal sounds nice but not something I'd consider worth upgrading for. Likewise Preview - I too have PS running constantly so hardly worth it for me.

I suppose I will give Leopard a go in the end but other priorities for now.

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
      Leopard is a must have for one thing - Time Machine. It *will* save your life...
      Doubt it. SuperDuper and incremental backups to Firewire/USB drives have been enough to save my life so far.

Can Time Machine make your backup HD bootable like SuperDuper does? Now that IS a life saver!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Can Time Machine make your backup HD bootable like SuperDuper does? Now that IS a life saver!
        No. But it does something better IMO. You replace your old hard drive, put in the install disk and click "Restore from Time Machine back-up" and within the hour, your machine is exactly as it was before your hard drive died - software, settings, files, everything.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
          No. But it does something better IMO. You replace your old hard drive, put in the install disk and click "Restore from Time Machine back-up" and within the hour, your machine is exactly as it was before your hard drive died - software, settings, files, everything.
          So that's better than holding down the OPTION key at boot time, how exactly?

If my built-in HD has got it's tits in the mangle, I don't want to be reaching for the screwdrivers - I just want to boot up, carry on with work, and fast!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X