• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

External USB HDD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External USB HDD

I want to get an external USB drive to do back ups on. Any recommendations? I need about 1TB.

TIA

WD MyBook range might be worth a look.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...d=14&subid=941
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I've been using a couple of these for a while now and had no problems.

They get moved from site to site quite a lot so they have been exposed to bumps and knocks and the odd bit of rain etc.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...avigationKey=0

Edit: Sorry, looks like they're discontinued.
      Last edited by PRC1964; 7 August 2008, 15:18.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        WD MyBook range might be worth a look.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...d=14&subid=941
        Don't go for the network version unless you are happy to lose access to the data (temporarily) if your net connection goes down or the WD site goes titsyupy.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Don't go for the network version unless you are happy to lose access to the data (temporarily) if your net connection goes down or the WD site goes titsyupy.
          What network version is that? A NAS variant of the MyBook range?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            What network version is that? A NAS variant of the MyBook range?
            Its called a MyBook World Edition. Not a very smart NAS by all accounts - goes a bit wrong when the WD service/site is not about etc; also recall hearing a comment about it having some kind of DRM type functionality which prevented you from sharing an MP3 over its net connection. Don't quote me on the last bit though. (linky)

If you wanted a really smart external HDD box (which can be turned into NAS) for backups try the Drobo, although it can work out expensive dependant on what disks you put in it. (linky). I have seen one in use and it is very nifty!
            Last edited by HeliCraig; 14 August 2008, 02:01.

Comment

I recently bought a nice alloy cased Toshiba USB HDD, 500Gb for about £56 from EBuyer. Very happy with it. I use Norton Ghost to back up to it.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                Its called a MyBook World Edition. Not a very smart NAS by all accounts - goes a bit wrong when the WD service/site is not about etc; also recall hearing a comment about it having some kind of DRM type functionality which prevented you from sharing an MP3 over its net connection. Don't quote me on the last bit though. (linky)
                Duh, catch up

Hmmmm, that Drobo box looks interesting...

Comment

Working...
                X