• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can I appear to be browsing from the US?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I appear to be browsing from the US?

I have a software offer to buy X piece of software for $110 but when I click on the offer it redirects me to a UK-based sales site which tries to charge me £90.

Is it possible to "spoof" my location and appear to be browsing from the US?

I think that ClientCo's VPN connection goes via the US, so is there some way I can tell my browser to use the VPN connection and not the LAN connection? Some sort of tunnel?

I hope what I want to do is clear even if the explanation and terminology may be off!

TIA.

Yeah,

you can use various proxies to achieve this (google is your friend). It may depend on how the site is "detecting" your location, your browser is also likely shouting out that it's set to a UK locale.

B00med!

Comment

You could try changing your internationalisation settings if its a .net app. Try (from IE) Tools > Internet Options > Languages (button) and add en-us.

If it's IP based I'd be reluctant to run it through a web based proxy if I was making a purchase.

Comment

So can I do anything with a VPN connection?

Comment

You could use your VPN connection but it depends on how it's set up/you have permissions yadayda, your sysadmin is your friend (or not).
          B00med!

Comment

You could just use AOL as an ISP. They used to allocate all users US IP addresses, caused havoc with a system I was testing about 4 years ago as we were blocking non UK IP's access to the members area of the website, All the people using AOL couldn't log on...

Comment

will delivery be an issue - assuming your paying dollars - wont they expect to deliver in the US?
              cut me - ill bleed rosso red

Comment

Originally posted by poser View Post
                will delivery be an issue - assuming your paying dollars - wont they expect to deliver in the US?
                Delivery is by download

Comment

Proxy list

http://www.samair.ru/proxy/proxy-18.htm
                  Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

You may find that they only accept payment from US accounts/credit cards.

Comment

Working...
                    X