• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anyone recommend a good site to examine MS Project plans?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone recommend a good site to examine MS Project plans?

I'm looking for examples of plans displaying good practice but also highlights mistakes people make when using MS Project.

Seconded - I'd be interested in such a resource - if you find any HermanDune - post them here.

RH

Comment

Planning is for wimps.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
        I'm looking for examples of plans displaying good practice but also highlights mistakes people make when using MS Project.
        MS Project is an incomplete abortion.

Micro$oft bought it wonkey donkey's years ago and still haven't got around to finishing it off, but that's a different answer to a different question.

Firstly, the first mistake people make with MS Project is assuming it is a project planning tool. It is not. It is a Gantt chart creation tool. And a Gantt chart serves no other purpose than to pacify management and con them into believing you are a real project manager.

The second mistake is to try to make use of resource levelling. That will consume the first three weeks of your project as you faff about trying to get MS Project to work properly again.

Examples of good practice? Just use it for high level activities and milestones - do NOT fall into the trap of thinking it will run the project for you. Only communication, risk management, communication, change control, communication, stakeholder management, communication, quality control and communication can do that. Oh, and communication.

I'm sorry if that is not the answer you wanted.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          MS Project is an incomplete abortion.

Micro$oft bought it wonkey donkey's years ago and still haven't got around to finishing it off, but that's a different answer to a different question.

Firstly, the first mistake people make with MS Project is assuming it is a project planning tool. It is not. It is a Gantt chart creation tool. And a Gantt chart serves no other purpose than to pacify management and con them into believing you are a real project manager.

The second mistake is to try to make use of resource levelling. That will consume the first three weeks of your project as you faff about trying to get MS Project to work properly again.

Examples of good practice? Just use it for high level activities and milestones - do NOT fall into the trap of thinking it will run the project for you. Only communication, risk management, communication, change control, communication, stakeholder management, communication, quality control and communication can do that. Oh, and communication.

I'm sorry if that is not the answer you wanted.
          Yup, MS Project sucks donkey knobs.

(I'm sure you remind me of a talented and forthright PM who used to post somewhere... )
          Last edited by NickFitz; 26 July 2008, 03:58.

Comment

Kudos to Richard

Your answer is very good thanks. I think your advice will come in much more useful.

Luckily I don't need to use it too much in my upcoming role as a project controller. I will be using advanced Excel spreadsheets more likely.

However, I plan to move into proejct management once I can walk the walk. Right now I can only talk the talk.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Yup, MS Project sucks donkey knobs.
              I can't believe you wrote that! It's shocking. Quite true, but shocking.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I'm sure you remind me of a talented and forthright PM who used to post somewhere...
              We probably went on the same Dogbert's Project Management Lobotomy Course. Or are cloned from the same droid. Or something. Or I'm Spartacus.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Your answer is very good thanks. I think your advice will come in much more useful.
                Your ability to get others to do something for you in return for nothing when you have no authority yet make them feel good about it bodes well for the future.

Luckily I don't need to use it too much in my upcoming role as a project controller. I will be using advanced Excel spreadsheets more likely.
                Please indulge me: describe what is expected of "a project controller". I can guess, but I'd like to know. (I have never had the luxury of any dedicated project admin.)

However, I plan to move into proejct management once I can walk the walk. Right now I can only talk the talk.
                Blimey! You can talk the talk? You wanna get straight into programme management consultancy if you can do that! The boneheads at the top of the tree will love it! (Have you had the conscience-ectomy yet?)

(Shhh. You want to walk the walk? This is a secret: use talcum powder.)

Comment

Have to agree

Excel spreadsheets server me well until someone decided I need to use MS project - a quick online course later meant I could now produce gant charts much quicker.

Makes no difference if you cannot communicate, perform risk analysis, stakeholder management and also if you want the project to be succesful solve problems - or even better get the stakeholders to accept your solutions and then pass them off as their own - it makes them feel all warm inside and important!!

Projects can exist without project paperwork
                  Project paperwork cannot exist without a project

Comment

Unbelievable

This thread just shows why the general business community under-estimates PM's!!

Too many people out there who think that you can slap a gannt chart together, never consider revising it and then just monitor progress. The management of a project is so much more than that (risks, issues, stakeholders, suppliers). If only people were to get the message!

Too many clients who are interested in a jack of all trades approach when hiring a PM - "doesnt matter if their PM skills are weak just as long as they have some niche experience and can cope with the mentality of our organisation" kinda approach.

They then wonder why their projects fail......!!

Comment

Working...
                    X