• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anyone recommend a good site to examine MS Project plans?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's what this project controller is gonig to be doing...

Richard asked what a project controller does...
    I will be carrying out some of the following tasks and areas (This was craftily copied from the job description):

Estimating. Fully define the scope of work, to enable an operational SOW to be produced that will form the basis of the estimating process.

Workload planning. Engage the Operational Manager on a monthly basis to confirm a continued ability to resource workload in line with current assumptions and committments. (Firm and probable workload). Escalate conflicts via Ops Managers/Engineering Delivery Managers.

Schedule & Resource Management. Ensure agreed schedules are in place for all activities within areas of responsibility. Ensure discharge of all activities in line with approved baseline schedule.

Budgeting, Work Authorisation and Project Control. Ensure adequate and approved funding for all activities undertaken across area of responsibility. Ensure discharge of all commitments in line with approved budgets. Ensure formal closure of all activities.

Change Management. Ensure that all change to task scope, quality, cost or timescale is pre-approved.

Risk and Opportunity Management. Ensure that Risk and Opportunity Management is routinely and consistently applied across all activities within areas of responsibility.

Customer Satisfaction. Ensure an environment where customer satisfaction is recognised as a key element.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
      <snip long list>
      Without referring to PMBoK, I'm hard pushed to think what would have to be added to that list to make it a project manager's job description.

... thinks ... thinks ... three minutes of hard thinking later ... got it!

Being the person in the project board meetings that says "I got the job done."

HermanDune, you might be about to be shafted: paid to do the PM's job on project support money and then get none of the credit. If you are confident you can do what that job description says, then you're a project manager.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        Without referring to PMBoK, I'm hard pushed to think what would have to be added to that list to make it a project manager's job description.

... thinks ... thinks ... three minutes of hard thinking later ... got it!

Being the person in the project board meetings that says "I got the job done."

HermanDune, you might be about to be shafted: paid to do the PM's job on project support money and then get none of the credit. If you are confident you can do what that job description says, then you're a project manager.
        Which will only take you to the level you want to be at. Use them just like they use you.

Comment

Examples of good practice? Just use it for high level activities and milestones - do NOT fall into the trap of thinking it will run the project for you. Only communication, risk management, communication, change control, communication, stakeholder management, communication, quality control and communication can do that. Oh, and communication.
          Totally agree with this. Though on the last project I delivered the customer was extremely insistent that every activity on the MS Project schedule equalled the budget breakdown on the high level work activities described and costed in the project proposal. This is where MS Project's resource management tab (or whatever it's called) came in useful.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
            I will be carrying out some of the following tasks and areas (This was craftily copied from the job description):

Estimating. Fully define the scope of work, to enable an operational SOW to be produced that will form the basis of the estimating process.

Workload planning. Engage the Operational Manager on a monthly basis to confirm a continued ability to resource workload in line with current assumptions and committments. (Firm and probable workload). Escalate conflicts via Ops Managers/Engineering Delivery Managers.

Schedule & Resource Management. Ensure agreed schedules are in place for all activities within areas of responsibility. Ensure discharge of all activities in line with approved baseline schedule.

Budgeting, Work Authorisation and Project Control. Ensure adequate and approved funding for all activities undertaken across area of responsibility. Ensure discharge of all commitments in line with approved budgets. Ensure formal closure of all activities.

Change Management. Ensure that all change to task scope, quality, cost or timescale is pre-approved.

Risk and Opportunity Management. Ensure that Risk and Opportunity Management is routinely and consistently applied across all activities within areas of responsibility.

Customer Satisfaction. Ensure an environment where customer satisfaction is recognised as a key element.
            programme office manager spec in this neck of the woods. £450p.d plus

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
              programme office manager spec in this neck of the woods. £450p.d plus
              I'd be quite happy to come back to Edinburgh for that. Realistically the quality of life in Edinburgh being what it is I'd probably do it for £150, more if it's in the Gyle!

Comment

I am in agreement here with you and Peter Loew.

The first warning sign was when I looked at my address book entry and saw I was a "Business Manager" - some mistake there I thought.

The second sign was when I asked who did the job previously and what their job role was...the previous person was listed as "Project and Business Manager", with assistance from somebody also entitled "Project Manager".

The third sign was when they went through 3 pages of roles and responsibilities and I thought I could probably do the admin tasks but not sure what the rest of these things meant!

The fourth sign was the mention of supervising the work of a project support type person.

The fifth sign was the terrible headache I suddenly got this afternoon as I realised I was perhaps in over my head!

The sixth sign was the mention under "Other" where I would act as lead PM at certain meetings and represent the department.

I only wanted to be a humble project controller!
                Last edited by HermanDune; 4 August 2008, 19:27. Reason: The stark reality hitting home.

Comment

Working...
                X