• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back up to backs up?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back up to backs up?!

Where does it all stop?

I recently bought a NAS with RAID 5 to do a number of things:

1) Back up my hard drive.

2) Provide storage for all my digital pics and MP3's

3) Provide centralised access to the pics and MP3's so Mrs Mustang doesnt have to hog my PC to do anything with them.

All was going well until the NAS temporarily died and I had to re-install the operating system. Fortunately all my files survived!! (There is some higher power! ) The interesting part was that the support team from the NAS vendor calmly stated - "Sir we always recommend that our NAS units are backed up". This was despite having paid a few bob in the first place.

The question is, should i have to with RAID in use? How far do I go? I have a 2TB machine so backing up to CD/DVD would be tedious. The approach I would most likely take is to buy some USB hard drives and back up to that but thats more money!

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    Where does it all stop?

I recently bought a NAS with RAID 5 to do a number of things:

1) Back up my hard drive.

2) Provide storage for all my digital pics and MP3's

3) Provide centralised access to the pics and MP3's so Mrs Mustang doesnt have to hog my PC to do anything with them.

All was going well until the NAS temporarily died and I had to re-install the operating system. Fortunately all my files survived!! (There is some higher power! ) The interesting part was that the support team from the NAS vendor calmly stated - "Sir we always recommend that our NAS units are backed up". This was despite having paid a few bob in the first place.

The question is, should i have to with RAID in use? How far do I go? I have a 2TB machine so backing up to CD/DVD would be tedious. The approach I would most likely take is to buy some USB hard drives and back up to that but thats more money!
    Get yourself a cheap tape drive and hire milan to come round and change them.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
      Get yourself a cheap tape drive and hire milan to come round and change them.
      I cant afford his rates.....!!

Comment

RAID is not a backup solution, it's a resilience/redundancy solution.

If you accidently delete data, the RAID array will happily propogate that deletion....

But the NAS is a already backup (of your harddrive) so by using RAID you have a resilient backup solution (maybe, depending on how it's used)
        B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
          But the NAS is a already backup (of your harddrive) so by using RAID you have a resilient backup solution (maybe, depending on how it's used)
          From the sound of it he's using the NAS as storage, not just backup. Simple answer - make sure everything is copied back to your PC.

Perhaps two NASes with single hard disks is better than one with RAID. At least they won't cook themselves at the same time.

Anyone ever used ShadowProtect? I'm currently playing with it as a solution to backup to my NAS.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

And unfortunately even backing up to tape cannot be guaranteed either.
            As above RAID is just a redundancy solution. Our databases are on RAID that does not mean they are backed up. But it does mean that the database does not fall over if a drive fails.

I too have looked around for some tape drives capable of storing 200Gig+. They didn't look too cheap from the searching I have done.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

USB drive

Most support backup to an external USB drive, slap one on, backup nightly using the NAS backup tool goes at full USB speed (well better than copying across the network).
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Punched cards or paper tape.

It's the only way to be sure...

Still not fool proof, damn those humans!

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/A-Training-Issue.aspx
                B00med!

Comment

If you want to minimise risk of data loss, take multiple backups and store off site.

RAID arrays can fail with data loss - and what happens if the house burns down?

For a large NAS device at home, I'd go for three USB drives. One for the backup, one in transit, and one off site. Or if rich, a tape drive and lots of tapes.

HTH

Comment

Just get a T3 connection to the internet and hire these guys;

http://www.backup-technology.com/onlinebackup.html
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X