• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excel filtering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    1) Select the cell that would be the origin of the matrix

2) Validate the column of functions as a list (Data > Validation)

3) Insert two rows above the users

4) the first row you have just inserted is going to show the function you have are interested in above each user. So if the selected function 'FUNC1' is selected all the users will have FUNC1 above them. '=$A$1' drag across all users.

5) the 2nd row you inserted type =IF(VLOOKUP($A$1,your array,2,FALSE)='x',TRUE,FALSE)

for the 2nd user it would be: =IF(VLOOKUP($A$1,your array,3,FALSE)='x',TRUE,FALSE)

=IF(VLOOKUP($A$1,your array,4,FALSE)='x',TRUE,FALSE)

=IF(VLOOKUP($A$1,your array,5,FALSE)='x',TRUE,FALSE)

and so on..

Now each user will have TRUE or FALSE if the function matches. You could use some form of conditional formatting to make this more obvious.

Better still you can now transpose the rows with USER and TRUE or FALSE and filter as normal.

No macro, no code, no problem :O)

Thanks for that Scooter, almost there. The formula you gave doesnt quite work though, although it may just be me being dense.

=IF(VLOOKUP($A$1,A5:EE316,2,FALSE)='x',TRUE,FALSE) doesn't work, but giving it a hard coded cell location does.

=IF(VLOOKUP(A5,A5:EE316,3,FALSE)="x",TRUE,FALSE)

So either $A$1 isnt correctly evaluating to the active cell in that range or I've done something wrong somewhere in setting it up. Any ideas?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      1) Select the cell that would be the origin of the matrix

<snip>
      No macro, no code, no problem :O)
      Why do i see everything as a challenge?
      Using a few things i've done before, I've knocked up an example spreadsheet that puts a llist of users, without blanks, into a column depending on the name of a function being entered into a cell.

All very simple formula, no VBA

Let me know if you want it
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Thanks for that Scooter, almost there. The formula you gave doesnt quite work though, although it may just be me being dense.

=IF(VLOOKUP($A$1,A5:EE316,2,FALSE)='x',TRUE,FALSE) doesn't work, but giving it a hard coded cell location does.

=IF(VLOOKUP(A5,A5:EE316,3,FALSE)="x",TRUE,FALSE)

So either $A$1 isnt correctly evaluating to the active cell in that range or I've done something wrong somewhere in setting it up. Any ideas?

You'll need $ around the array so A5:EE316 should look like $A$5:$EE$316

Also $A$1 should not change so: =IF(VLOOKUP(A5,A5:EE316,3,FALSE)="x",TRUE,FALSE) should be:

=IF(VLOOKUP($A$1,$A$5:$EE$316,3,FALSE)="x",TRUE,FA LSE)

$A$1 should be a drop down menu if the validation is working.

Trial and error will get you there in the end.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I have a rough bit of VBA which does what I think you need - PM me if you want it
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Sorted, many thanks.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Export it to Access, even a numpty like me can do what you want then with just a very rudimentary understanding of SQL queries!
              For Access it is not even necessary to know SQL phrases. Some graphical mouse movement in the DDE window is all.

Comment

Working...
              X