• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ASP.NET and IE Toolbar menu items

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techno View Post
    When the user clicks on a button within MyWindow I want to know what is in the main window so I can decide what/how/when to do some processing.
    Request.Referer is not populated.
    Bum. Bit of a puzzler then. I haven't used custom windows, so not sure what functionality they offer. A quick look at MSDN reveals that they are implemented as separate COM objects, so you will indeed have to COM into IE.

I found a page which might help you do this though:
    http://delphi.about.com/od/windowssh.../aa060303a.htm

Good luck!
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

To me it sounds like you need to use javascript to achieve what I believe you are asking. "window.location" might do it. If you need ASP.NET to handle it perhaps have your button pass window.location to the query string?

ASP.NET is server side code after all, and it appears like what you are requesting is dependent on the client.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
        To me it sounds like you need to use javascript to achieve what I believe you are asking. "window.location" might do it. If you need ASP.NET to handle it perhaps have your button pass window.location to the query string?
        ASP.NET is server side code after all, and it appears like what you are requesting is dependent on the client.
        After initially thinking the same thing when I thought it was an inter-frame thing, it's become clear JavaScript won't work in this case, since the Custom Explorer Bar is not implemented as a webpage within the IE DOM - it's implemented as a separate COM object within Windows.

If he implemented it as a Frame, he could manipulate the contents of the main window, except if the window was on a different domain (which is likely) then you would run into your domain sandbox problem (Access Denied, in JS)
        So if all the pages required were on the same domain, you could just write a left hand nav panel. But if any of the pages are out of domain, then you'll get security problems - saying that you might still be able to get some read-only values, such as .location.

After having a look at custom explorer bars, they look like a really crap half-solution, since to do anything halfway decent he's going to have to write (essentially) a Windows application to tie the two things together.
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Even worse, from ASP.NET, how can I get to see what the user gets up to in the bedroom?

open net.curtain ?
          view window ?

IGMC...
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I found a page which might help you do this though:
            http://delphi.about.com/od/windowssh.../aa060303a.htm

Virtual pint to TheBigYinJames

Comment

Working...
            X