• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ASP.NET and IE Toolbar menu items

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASP.NET and IE Toolbar menu items

Hi

Muchos helpos needed....

From an ASP.NET page, how can I retrieve what the value is within the Address Bar...?mad

Many thanks.

Originally posted by techno View Post
    Hi
    Muchos helpos needed....
    From an ASP.NET page, how can I retrieve what the value is within the Address Bar...?mad
    Many thanks.
    Have a look at the Request.Url object/property.
    Also, learn to use Google.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

This is the page I always refer to when I need this kind of functionality...

http://www.west-wind.com/weblog/posts/269.aspx
      ...for aerodynamic purposes

Comment

Also, learn to use Google
        I have used Google, couldn't find anything so posted here. Also the Request.Url object does not provide that information as I have tried it after seeing it mentioned on a few websites.

This is the page I always refer to when I need this kind of functionality...
        Will have a look, thanks.

I think the underlying issue seems to be the Address Bar is within the COM arena........

Comment

I have used Google, couldn't find anything so posted here. Also the Request.Url object does not provide that information as I have tried it after seeing it mentioned on a few websites.
          I think the underlying issue seems to be the Address Bar is within the COM arena........
          You want the actual text contained within the Address bar of the browser? So you are going to COM into IE/FF/A hundred other generic browsers with no defined COM API in order to get that?

What exactly is in the Address bar of the browser that isn't in Request.Url ?

Comment

Hi

Muchos helpos needed....

Many thanks.

Even worse, from ASP.NET, how can I get to see what the user gets up to in the bedroom?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Even worse, from ASP.NET, how can I get to see what the user gets up to in the bedroom?
              That's Easy. Use the standard .NET function:

System.User.House[0].Rooms["Bedroom"].Voyeur(DateTime whatTime, Boolean useAudio, Boolean recordForYouTube)

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                You want the actual text contained within the Address bar of the browser? So you are going to COM into IE/FF/A hundred other generic browsers with no defined COM API in order to get that?

What exactly is in the Address bar of the browser that isn't in Request.Url ?
                I appreciate the comment about multiple browsers but this is only a small project and guarenteed to use Internet Explorer v6.

As regards what is not contained in Request.Url, we are using our own Explorer Bar menus (that can be easily setup - see MSDN) but when we launch a page from that then Request.Url contains our explorer bar webpage rather than the page from the main window, e.g. www.google.co.uk

Comment

As regards what is not contained in Request.Url, we are using our own Explorer Bar menus (that can be easily setup - see MSDN) but when we launch a page from that then Request.Url contains our explorer bar webpage rather than the page from the main window, e.g. www.google.co.uk
                  Not sure I get this, ok you have a webpage displayed in the main window, and you press one of your custom menu options, which then takes the page to your custom handler page (so that Request.Url is now your page rather than the original page) - and from here you need to know what the previous page URL/address was in order to process it in some way? Is that it?

And Request.Referer isn't populated?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                    Not sure I get this, ok you have a webpage displayed in the main window, and you press one of your custom menu options, which then takes the page to your custom handler page (so that Request.Url is now your page rather than the original page) - and from here you need to know what the previous page URL/address was in order to process it in some way? Is that it?

And Request.Referer isn't populated?

If you open IE and then do View>Explorer Bar>Search then a side window is opened next to your main window.

Imagine that instead of the search window it was MyWindow

When the user clicks on a button within MyWindow I want to know what is in the main window so I can decide what/how/when to do some processing.

Request.Referer is not populated.

Comment

Working...
                    X