• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adding a SAN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    File format is XFS, whatever that is.

What is concerning me is that the disk never shuts up. Nothing is using it, yet I can hear the disk constantly working. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, but for a device designed to be left on and forgotten about it seems a bit strange.
    Have you got the Media server running? My Lacie took about 3 days* to index half the music & videos I had on it before I gave up...

*this may be an exaggeration
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Oh dear. Looks like the honeymoon period is over, and after 24 hours it's cooked itself (at least I guess that's what happened).

A couple of times it booted up then gave the error signal. Now it appears to be on, but although I can ping it I can't access its web interface or the network shares.

I'd used it for a backup (supposedly encrypted) of data that I really ought to keep confidential. Which means I shouldn't really send it back. Hmmm.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Got it back by reinstalling the firmware. And yes the constant disk thrashing is apparently down to the media server (can't understand why that would be).

Unfortunately with the new firmware the web interface was now Japanese; it wouldn't let me change it go English, and my Japanese isn't good enough to turn off the media server - so mad thrashing of disk continued. Then it overheated again.

So now I've installed one of the slightly modified firmwares that's based on the Pro version and so doesn't have the media stuff, and it's working great. For the first time it's quiet. Still fairly warm though.

So I think the moral of the story is: don't buy the "live" Buffalos.

I'm tempted to try one of the proper Linux firmwares now. I did once consider using one of these as a SubVersion server, which I guess wouldn't be hard to acheive.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X