• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Adding a SAN

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Adding a SAN"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Got it back by reinstalling the firmware. And yes the constant disk thrashing is apparently down to the media server (can't understand why that would be).

Unfortunately with the new firmware the web interface was now Japanese; it wouldn't let me change it go English, and my Japanese isn't good enough to turn off the media server - so mad thrashing of disk continued. Then it overheated again.

So now I've installed one of the slightly modified firmwares that's based on the Pro version and so doesn't have the media stuff, and it's working great. For the first time it's quiet. Still fairly warm though.

So I think the moral of the story is: don't buy the "live" Buffalos.

I'm tempted to try one of the proper Linux firmwares now. I did once consider using one of these as a SubVersion server, which I guess wouldn't be hard to acheive.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Oh dear. Looks like the honeymoon period is over, and after 24 hours it's cooked itself (at least I guess that's what happened).

A couple of times it booted up then gave the error signal. Now it appears to be on, but although I can ping it I can't access its web interface or the network shares.

I'd used it for a backup (supposedly encrypted) of data that I really ought to keep confidential. Which means I shouldn't really send it back. Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    File format is XFS, whatever that is.

What is concerning me is that the disk never shuts up. Nothing is using it, yet I can hear the disk constantly working. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, but for a device designed to be left on and forgotten about it seems a bit strange.
    Have you got the Media server running? My Lacie took about 3 days* to index half the music & videos I had on it before I gave up...

*this may be an exaggeration

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    File format is XFS, whatever that is.

What is concerning me is that the disk never shuts up. Nothing is using it, yet I can hear the disk constantly working. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, but for a device designed to be left on and forgotten about it seems a bit strange.

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    NAS's often are formatted with FAT32 which is slower than NTFS. Considerably slower. This is so, MAC and LINUX can read files from the NAS as well as Windows. And that the operating system is often embedded Linux so, they do not have to sub MS a fee.

This is actually the fault of Microsoft who have made NTFS a proprietary format. Which means no one else can use it properly as it's all undocumented. There are Linux work arounds, but these are ad-hoc and never included in NAS 's. Also if you format to NTFS most NAS embedded systems will not work with it.

Most NAS systems have great specs which is a shame as they are let down by their RETRO file systems. Which starts to defeat the point of buying a barebones NAS really.

The solution?
    Build your own NAS using Linux and format the drives using one of the very fast Linux drive formats (much better than NTFS). Then using Samba or SFTP you can transfer files about. Also you can upgrade your own NAS easily.

You can get empty NAS cases and small ITX motherboards now. So, it is possible. Much improvement needs to be done to the NAS scene as it's far from perfect.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Can't think of why the NAS would slow another PC down? its not also acting as your internet proxy is it?

I only ask that as it appears from the basshead's post that it is running Linux.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Now have a Buffalo Linkstation 500 to use for backup. Works fine, no effect on the rest of the network.

Only bad thing is the web interface is extremely slow.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    I love my Buffalo NAS

root@MRBACKUP:~# uptime
    2:00pm up 312 days, 19:44, load average: 0.04, 0.07, 0.04
    root@MRBACKUP:~#

(and my UPS )

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    OK thanks VM. I am pleased with it so far - especially as it hasn't required me to be too techie to install it.

Look forward to hearing how you fair.....!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I've just ordered a Buffalo NAS too, so hopefully I'll be able to tell you tomorrow if it has the same effect.

Unless it's actually doing something (like you're copy files to/from it), then it shouldn't be having any effect.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Are you sure it isn't a NAS?

And why do you want to upgrade if the speed of your network has increased?
    Doh!! Thanks for spotting both errors VM!! Must be monday morning!!

It is indeed a NAS (can't think why I put SAN down) and the speed of the network has decreased!!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Are you sure it isn't a NAS?

And why do you want to upgrade if the speed of your network has increased?

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    started a topic Adding a SAN

Adding a SAN

As per my previous thread I am now the proud owener of a Buffalo SAN. It is configured to run RAID5 (factory setting). I have noticed that since I added it to my network, the speed that everything loads (including this website) has increased.

Is this down to the SAN, the way I have it set up or the fact that my router (Belkin) just cant cope and I that I should now consider upgrading it?

What does the panel think?

Working...
X