• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asp

I'd like to learn asp, firstly to try and develop my own site. And if I enjoy/become good maybe offer it as a business service/product.

But before I get to carried away with the idea, I need to learn it.

Can anybody recommend good books for beginners etc or an alternative.

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
    I'd like to learn asp, firstly to try and develop my own site. And if I enjoy/become good maybe offer it as a business service/product.

This any good?
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post

You mean ASP.NET, not vanilla ASP right?

Bit of a shock to the system if you come from php/asp/perl/ruby.

You want to hit the ground with the latest incarnation (3.5) using MVC style development.

TM

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
        This any good?
        That was the first Classic ASP book I read, it was a good and easy to follow book.

For ASP.NET the Core Reference book is very good. Not so sure on a beginners guide though.

Comment

For a simple site, you might be better off with PHP.

ASP.NET is heavy going for a beginner with no .NET background.

ASP (classic) is long dead.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            For a simple site, you might be better off with PHP.

ASP.NET is heavy going for a beginner with no .NET background.

ASP (classic) is long dead.
            Even for larger sites, PHP (5) is a better bet than ASP.NET 2.0 - especially where performance matters.

You can even develop PHP in Visual Studio now, (almost) seemlessly.

See: http://www.jcxsoftware.com/vs.php

I hated ASP, and my love has not increased with the .NET incarnation. It's borked, bloated and bastardised.

I find a good compromise if you're deving for Windows backends is to write webs services in .NET 2.0 in C# or whatever, and do the front-end tier in PHP5. Works a treat.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              Even for larger sites, PHP (5) is a better bet than ASP.NET 2.0 - especially where performance matters.

You can even develop PHP in Visual Studio now, (almost) seemlessly.

See: http://www.jcxsoftware.com/vs.php

I hated ASP, and my love has not increased with the .NET incarnation. It's borked, bloated and bastardised.

I find a good compromise if you're deving for Windows backends is to write webs services in .NET 2.0 in C# or whatever, and do the front-end tier in PHP5. Works a treat.

I love .NET and C# to bits, but many aspects of ASP.NET 2.0 are very poor indeed, making real world Internet dev (as opposed to "look it's a datagrid for your Intranet again") very difficult.

I tend to ignore many of the "wizzy" asp.net controls but use the framework and some libraries of .NET code to create sites in a cleaner, SEO friendly way.

Your idea of PHP front end and ASP.NET web services sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
                You mean ASP.NET, not vanilla ASP right?

Bit of a shock to the system if you come from php/asp/perl/ruby.

You want to hit the ground with the latest incarnation (3.5) using MVC style development.

TM
                MVC is sooo completely bizarre. Just recently sat through a session on it and found it confusing. Think you might want to stay away from it at the start.

ASP.Net is really a bad web page development system. But as I've been working with M$ all my career...I have stuck with their stuff....I still use classic ASP. ASP->ASP.net is like going from C++ to SQL. It turns you inside out.

Does PHP work with IIS? If so I might just shift into that.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  MVC is sooo completely bizarre. Just recently sat through a session on it and found it confusing. Think you might want to stay away from it at the start.
                  MVC is just 3-tier development following a RESTful approach. Few other bells and whistles in there.

I do agree its confusing at first, however try it out (demo project), get used to it, them form an opinion. It is a MUCH better and easier way to work, especially when you couple the model/data tier with LinQ

As for PHP on IIS.... well not in production i hope

If you want an easy development environment, do a search for XAMPP.

HTH
                  TM

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Your idea of PHP front end and ASP.NET web services sounds like a good idea.
                    Sound slow, over complex, brittle and inflexible to me?

TM

Comment

Working...
                    X