• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
    MVC confusing? It's been THE standard methodology for web development going back years. The fact that I have just discovered that not only does it seem to be new to MS, but that it's confusing to supposedly experienced contractors made me seriously go

What are you people doing? Connecting directly to the DB from a front end script or something equally awful?
    If you look at a the recent examples found on various blogs, alot of the lazy arse developers tend to use sql datasource objects to provide a connection into the database from the web page.

I guess alot of new developers look at this, take it to be the defacto standard becauses its how <insert microsoft personality name here> does it in their example and then codes to that pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
      If you look at a the recent examples found on various blogs, alot of the lazy arse developers tend to use sql datasource objects to provide a connection into the database from the web page.

I guess alot of new developers look at this, take it to be the defacto standard becauses its how <insert microsoft personality name here> does it in their example and then codes to that pattern.
      And then they wonder why the DB runs out of connections in its pool (or more seriously that transactional integrity is broken) when more that 20 users access the site at the same time...

The same applies to PHP and other scripting languages BTW, which is why if you ever look at the DB code behind them you'll see all kinds of weird and wonderful ways to get round the issues ranging from strange flags in the database, to full on table locking.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
        If I learn ASP .NET is there other packages I need to learn as well, or is that it.

Please beware before/if you respond the world of website creation is new to me so, I'd be learning right from the beginning.
        As mentioned earlier, PHP is possibly better for you as a beginner.

The fundamentals on how websites (and HTTP specifically [GETs/POSTs] etc) operate, how cookies work, the differences between client side and server side script (which some people seem to have trouble understanding) and more need to be learned before you approach writing any form of server side web "application". HTML/Javascript/CSS are also a necessity (although it always used to surprise me how many developers don't have a good grasp on JS).

If you were to learn ASP.NET as a marketable skill you really should take a good look at object oriented programming with c# (or vb.net) as a language. This will mean reading a lot of books and even then some of what you know will be outdated, so keeping track of a variety of blogs is also important. It is really quite a big topic and I suppose without the right background can be difficult to be sure on the best approaches to take.

Comment

Thanks Jaws

Comment

Working...
          X