• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

javax.swing package

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

javax.swing package

Can anybody recommend any books that provide a coherent description of the usage of the GUI javax.swing package? Proper class diagrams etc.

Is that not all you need?

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/ap...age-frame.html

I mean it has the descriptions of all classes and methods

(TBH I only used swing calls from Perl, but what the heck).
    Last edited by xchaotic; 7 May 2008, 13:36.

Comment

I've downloaded the Sun docs, great description of components in isolation. My background is comms, kernels and drivers (no GUI). I'm looking for a good coherent overview of how these GUI components fit together.

Comment

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/

As for how they fit together, basically all components extend the base component and implement a couple of methods to paint themselves and fire events. This all happens on one thread (the event despatch thread), so you should never, ever run any code of your own on the current thread or you'll lock the GUI - always run your own code inside it's own thread(s). This is the most basic mistake that most beginners make and also why there are so many crap Swing GUIs out there leading people to believe that Swing is slow.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
          http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/

As for how they fit together, basically all components extend the base component and implement a couple of methods to paint themselves and fire events. This all happens on one thread (the event despatch thread), so you should never, ever run any code of your own on the current thread or you'll lock the GUI - always run your own code inside it's own thread(s). This is the most basic mistake that most beginners make and also why there are so many crap Swing GUIs out there leading people to believe that Swing is slow.
          Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Swing components delegate their painting to a Renderer object, rather than a paint method? This decoupling is what allows for pluggable UI rendering... although it's been a while since I did any Java UI stuff, so maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly

Excellent point about the UI thread

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Swing components delegate their painting to a Renderer object, rather than a paint method? This decoupling is what allows for pluggable UI rendering... although it's been a while since I did any Java UI stuff, so maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly

Excellent point about the UI thread
            public void paintComponent(Graphics g) {}

is the method you override if you want to change how a component displays.

There is a Renderer interface which allows you to change what you do with the components (i.e. you could have a PrintRenderer that dumps straight to a printer) though it's very low level and personally I've never seen it implemented.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
              public void paintComponent(Graphics g) {}

is the method you override if you want to change how a component displays.

There is a Renderer interface which allows you to change what you do with the components (i.e. you could have a PrintRenderer that dumps straight to a printer) though it's very low level and personally I've never seen it implemented.
              Ah right. I implemented TreeCellRenderer back around 1999, which is why my memory of the whole setup is a bit hazy

Comment

Working...
              X