• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Are people still fiddling around with the 1000+ Linux distros? I thought Linux died some time last century....
    Which is why I went with FreeBSD.

But I'm stuck with CentOS for my Oracle machine.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Unfortunately this is what stops Linux from going main stream.
      Non techies won't go anywhere near it and I've heard it refered to several times as "that geeky linux thing"
      I called it that yesterday....
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        I called it that yesterday....
        Sure you weren't refering to the kettle?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Sure you weren't refering to the kettle?
          smart arse.... no it was my new asus thingy which still won't connect to the internet at home but I have no idea what I am doing wrong
          Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            smart arse.... no it was my new asus thingy which still won't connect to the internet at home but I have no idea what I am doing wrong
            Why not start a thread in technical? There are some verey clever peoiple who read this forum - though most are like me.

Comment

Unfortunately this is what stops Linux from going main stream.
              Non techies won't go anywhere near it and I've heard it refered to several times as "that geeky linux thing"
              Incorrect. I'm not techy by any stretch of the imagination - I've installed it on my lappy and many things are actually easier for a non-techy user like me than stuff in windows - especially vista which I also have on this machine. 99% of the time I boot this machine in Ubuntu - it's much faster, and just as reliable and easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Why not start a thread in technical? There are some verey clever peoiple who read this forum - though most are like me.
                Nutters?
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Incorrect. I'm not techy by any stretch of the imagination - I've installed it on my lappy and many things are actually easier for a non-techy user like me than stuff in windows - especially vista which I also have on this machine. 99% of the time I boot this machine in Ubuntu - it's much faster, and just as reliable and easy to use.
                  You post in a contractor forum thats dedicated to IT contractors
                  You post in a Technical thread
                  You call yourself "Peoplesoft bloke" which i guess is a reference to peoplesoft software

you are techy, just in denial

A non techy would be astonished that you can install Vista and Linux on the same machine, let alone install an OS (whats an OS?) yourself without letting pcworld browse your pr0n directories first
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

you are techy, just in denial

......t
                    OK it's a fair cop.

Comment

Working...
                    X