• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Linux

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Linux"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

you are techy, just in denial

......t
    OK it's a fair cop.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Incorrect. I'm not techy by any stretch of the imagination - I've installed it on my lappy and many things are actually easier for a non-techy user like me than stuff in windows - especially vista which I also have on this machine. 99% of the time I boot this machine in Ubuntu - it's much faster, and just as reliable and easy to use.
    You post in a contractor forum thats dedicated to IT contractors
    You post in a Technical thread
    You call yourself "Peoplesoft bloke" which i guess is a reference to peoplesoft software

you are techy, just in denial

A non techy would be astonished that you can install Vista and Linux on the same machine, let alone install an OS (whats an OS?) yourself without letting pcworld browse your pr0n directories first

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why not start a thread in technical? There are some verey clever peoiple who read this forum - though most are like me.
    Nutters?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Unfortunately this is what stops Linux from going main stream.
    Non techies won't go anywhere near it and I've heard it refered to several times as "that geeky linux thing"
    Incorrect. I'm not techy by any stretch of the imagination - I've installed it on my lappy and many things are actually easier for a non-techy user like me than stuff in windows - especially vista which I also have on this machine. 99% of the time I boot this machine in Ubuntu - it's much faster, and just as reliable and easy to use.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    smart arse.... no it was my new asus thingy which still won't connect to the internet at home but I have no idea what I am doing wrong
    Why not start a thread in technical? There are some verey clever peoiple who read this forum - though most are like me.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Sure you weren't refering to the kettle?
    smart arse.... no it was my new asus thingy which still won't connect to the internet at home but I have no idea what I am doing wrong

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I called it that yesterday....
    Sure you weren't refering to the kettle?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Non techies won't go anywhere near it and I've heard it refered to several times as "that geeky linux thing"
    I called it that yesterday....

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Are people still fiddling around with the 1000+ Linux distros? I thought Linux died some time last century....
    Which is why I went with FreeBSD.

But I'm stuck with CentOS for my Oracle machine.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Are people still fiddling around with the 1000+ Linux distros? I thought Linux died some time last century....

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Is it me?

When I installed SimplyMepis on my old Fujitsu Siemans laptop I was a complete noob but was using the web 15 minutes later....

Just buy Linux Format and use whichever distro they're offering this month... (you don't have to buy anything, obv - but it's the easiest thing to do if you don't want to download a distro and burn an .iso CD...)

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    To bring some balance to this discussion; Vista is a complete load of tulipe! Still cannot get SP1 to install. Did a complete re-install of Vista NO OEM add-ons (i.e. ONLY microtulipE on the machine) and it still will not install. Do these knobheads at micro$oft ever ******* test anying they release.

In contrast I've been running Linux on the desktop for best part of 10 years, dual booting on laptops for 2-3 years absolutely no problems. Started out with Mandrake but mostly used SuSE (now open SUSE). Even got a PVR machine running MythTV.

Repeat after me:
    Micro$oft w@nk, w@nk, w@nk!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    3 1/2 hours in and "The server encountered a problem whilst loading "OAFIID-GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?"

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    It's "starting up the partitioner". This partitioner must be the greatest piece of software known to man, because so far it's taken half an hour to get 33% of it loaded.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I'm in the process of installing Ubuntu on my Dell C610 laptop. It boots okay from CD, slowly, and so far it's taken half an hour to get through the first couple of stages of the install wizard (i.e. choosing location).

I thought Linux was meant to be small and lightweight and less bloated than Windows.

I hope it's worth it.
    No. Next.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X