• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux users. 99% time fiddling with installs.

Are people still fiddling around with the 1000+ Linux distros? I thought Linux died some time last century....

Comment

Originally posted by G8_Summit View Post
      OK, I've got this old laptop (a Dell Latitude C810) and I want to install a Linux distribution on it.
      I've tried Ubuntu, Mandrake and another one (sounds like a Italian dessert), but the installs all just freeze.

Any idea what I can use ??

I just want a simple laptop that can be used to surf the internet and run openoffice.
      Are you sure the laptop is working properly?

In my limited experience, Linux installs usually shyt themselves trying to detect video hardware and configure X Windows. If your laptop is on the HCL for that distro then it should work fine, in theory.

Does it still run Windows ok?

Try one of the 'live' Linux CDs like Knoppix - if that doesn't boot then I think the laptop isn't well.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        He did.
        So obvious I did not read what the OP wrote carefully.

@G8Summit:
        Where exactly in the process do the installs freeze?
        Have you tried using the non-X installer?

Comment

I'm in the process of installing Ubuntu on my Dell C610 laptop. It boots okay from CD, slowly, and so far it's taken half an hour to get through the first couple of stages of the install wizard (i.e. choosing location).

I thought Linux was meant to be small and lightweight and less bloated than Windows.

I hope it's worth it.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I'm in the process of installing Ubuntu on my Dell C610 laptop. It boots okay from CD, slowly, and so far it's taken half an hour to get through the first couple of stages of the install wizard (i.e. choosing location).

I thought Linux was meant to be small and lightweight and less bloated than Windows.

I hope it's worth it.
            No. Next.

Comment

It's "starting up the partitioner". This partitioner must be the greatest piece of software known to man, because so far it's taken half an hour to get 33% of it loaded.

Comment

3 1/2 hours in and "The server encountered a problem whilst loading "OAFIID-GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?"

Comment

To bring some balance to this discussion; Vista is a complete load of tulipe! Still cannot get SP1 to install. Did a complete re-install of Vista NO OEM add-ons (i.e. ONLY microtulipE on the machine) and it still will not install. Do these knobheads at micro$oft ever ******* test anying they release.

In contrast I've been running Linux on the desktop for best part of 10 years, dual booting on laptops for 2-3 years absolutely no problems. Started out with Mandrake but mostly used SuSE (now open SUSE). Even got a PVR machine running MythTV.

Repeat after me:
                  Micro$oft w@nk, w@nk, w@nk!

Comment

Is it me?

When I installed SimplyMepis on my old Fujitsu Siemans laptop I was a complete noob but was using the web 15 minutes later....

Just buy Linux Format and use whichever distro they're offering this month... (you don't have to buy anything, obv - but it's the easiest thing to do if you don't want to download a distro and burn an .iso CD...)
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Are people still fiddling around with the 1000+ Linux distros? I thought Linux died some time last century....
                      Unfortunately this is what stops Linux from going main stream.
                      Non techies won't go anywhere near it and I've heard it refered to several times as "that geeky linux thing"
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X