• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ripping DVDs to mp4 / iPod friendly format

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripping DVDs to mp4 / iPod friendly format

Suggestions please for good applications to do this (preferably freeware / shareware).

Lots of HMRC DVD guides need putting on the new company iPod <cough>.

Thanks
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Not sure we're allowed to mention specific methods and software as it could be seen as encouraging piracy.

Doesn't your MP3/ipod come with conversion software so all you need is a DVD ripper?

Have a look at this site, vast amount of info:

http://www.videohelp.com/convert
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

PM me
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Handbrake.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Handbrake.
          What he said...
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I would recommend Xilisoft, which I use for my IPhone, very good quality

http://www.xilisoft.com/

Comment

I use PQDVD to Ipod which is great. I have used Handbrake, but found it a bit slow, but its free, PQDVD isn't.

And as a side note, if you want to download youtube to MP4(Ipod) format there is a free tool from vixy.net. They have an web downloader (which is really flakey), but they now have a downloadable version which has so far been 100% reliable.

Comment

Am giving Handbrake a go?

First attempt didn't work too well. It looks like some sort of copy protection stuffed it or I used some wrong settings somewhere. Now it won't recognise DVDs. Does it rip straight from commercial DVDs or do you need something else before to get round the copy protection?

Bloody thing. I'm trying to do this at the same time as working on another laptop.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                  Am giving Handbrake a go?

First attempt didn't work too well. It looks like some sort of copy protection stuffed it or I used some wrong settings somewhere. Now it won't recognise DVDs. Does it rip straight from commercial DVDs or do you need something else before to get round the copy protection?

Bloody thing. I'm trying to do this at the same time as working on another laptop.
                  Make sure you set the "source" to the video_ts folder in the DVD.

Make sure you've got the latest version.

*MAY* work better if you image the disk to your hard-drive first.

I don't use the windows version so YMMV.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You will need AnyDVD to decrypt the DVD. You won't be able to copy/rip without it. AnyDVD removes the copy protection. U can download it for free.

Comment

Working...
                    X