• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ripping DVDs to mp4 / iPod friendly format"

Collapse

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman_1 View Post
    Is anyone aware of any FREE software to convert .avi, .mov, .mpg to ipod friendly mp4's?? I am aware versions to buy but if i can get it free, without watermarks/reminders etc that would obviously be better.

Thanks
    PSP Video 9 http://www.pspvideo9.com/ converts most formats to PSP friendly mp4's. I've no idea if they are also ipod friendly though.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Thanks for the handbrake recommendations here - now watching Sopranos on long train journeys.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'm surprised this did not get a mention.

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

Using ffmpegx for a while with great success. However this is only for DVD's that are not encrypted.

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    I've used the following site to create Ipod videos.

Linky

Leave a comment:

• Mailman_1
    replied
    Is anyone aware of any FREE software to convert .avi, .mov, .mpg to ipod friendly mp4's?? I am aware versions to buy but if i can get it free, without watermarks/reminders etc that would obviously be better.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• mccannjg
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Handbrake.
    cant beat handbrake!!!

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Glad you got it working. This kind of thing can be a right pain.

I used to do alot of this stuff in a previous life. Handbrake is great on a Mac, but the PC version is pretty poor with DRM. I use Cucusoft Ultimate (about £20) at home for converting DVDs/Files from just about anything to anything. I use DVD Shrink for making 'back-ups' of my DVDs including protected ones.

HTH
    Badger!

Leave a comment:

• mr_do!
    replied
    a bit late but ...

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/aplus-dvd-ripper/

free today only ...

:-)

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Got it all working now thanks.

I must use the Technical forum more often. Surprisingly there are people who use this Board who actually know stuff!

Back to the cess-pit that is 'General'!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    It looks like some sort of copy protection stuffed it or I used some wrong settings somewhere.
    Try ripping with DVDdecrypter first, then work from the image on your hard drive

Leave a comment:

• PeterST1
    replied
    You will need AnyDVD to decrypt the DVD. You won't be able to copy/rip without it. AnyDVD removes the copy protection. U can download it for free.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Am giving Handbrake a go?

First attempt didn't work too well. It looks like some sort of copy protection stuffed it or I used some wrong settings somewhere. Now it won't recognise DVDs. Does it rip straight from commercial DVDs or do you need something else before to get round the copy protection?

Bloody thing. I'm trying to do this at the same time as working on another laptop.
    Make sure you set the "source" to the video_ts folder in the DVD.

Make sure you've got the latest version.

*MAY* work better if you image the disk to your hard-drive first.

I don't use the windows version so YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Am giving Handbrake a go?

First attempt didn't work too well. It looks like some sort of copy protection stuffed it or I used some wrong settings somewhere. Now it won't recognise DVDs. Does it rip straight from commercial DVDs or do you need something else before to get round the copy protection?

Bloody thing. I'm trying to do this at the same time as working on another laptop.

Leave a comment:

• PeterST1
    replied
    I use PQDVD to Ipod which is great. I have used Handbrake, but found it a bit slow, but its free, PQDVD isn't.

And as a side note, if you want to download youtube to MP4(Ipod) format there is a free tool from vixy.net. They have an web downloader (which is really flakey), but they now have a downloadable version which has so far been 100% reliable.

Leave a comment:

• Solent
    replied
    I would recommend Xilisoft, which I use for my IPhone, very good quality

http://www.xilisoft.com/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X