• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tracing hidden electrical main wiring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darn it! Now I need to trace a mains wire.

One of my sockets just failed while the fan heater was running and checks show the neutral is not connected. Usually that's due to a poor connection causing burn out but there's no smell of burning anywhere.

Wish I'd kept all one of my old signal generators when I gave my old electronics junk away. Have to try one of those Maplin things.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Buried wiring from a wall mains socket or switch should always be routed straight up or straight down. Once it reaches floor space a cheapo tester is unlikely to help.

I'd probably start by visually inspecting all other sockets in the vicinity for clues, including rooms above/below. This is assuming you've already checked the wires are not live rather than it being a faulty socket. Can also check for continuity on the earth and neutral back to the consumer unit, if so then disconnect stuff until the continuity is lost. Not going to comment on the star configuration. TBH, if you need to ask...

Comment

There's a socket tester you can use to check if it's only one wire broken.

Mains Socket Tester | Maplin

Might be of use before you connect a sig gen only to find the live is fully functional.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post

Mains Socket Tester | Maplin

Might be of use before you connect a sig gen only to find the live is fully functional.
          The socket tester is an excellent tool for sanity checking an installation. But everything it does can easily be done with a multimeter and a little knowhow, which you would hope a DIY electrician has already.

Comment

Got one of those from Workzone, shows various faults. Also got a multimeter. I am fairly techie and it's definitely only the neutral that is not connected. The fault is not in the socket or its local connections unfortunately.
            bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Bah. Spur from socket on other side of wall with crappy connection.
              bloggoth

Comment

Working...
              X