• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web hosting recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web hosting recommendations?

I'm looking for a basic web hosting service for 'home' use.

I need ftp access, a reasonable amount of storage (>= 100Mb), the usual email facilities (multiple accounts, forwarding, webmail, pop3 access etc).

Above all I want something that's easy to use and administer via a web-based control panel and that has good support, preferably including a well-supported web forum.

I've tried using Supanet/Purleyhosting/spellings.net or whatever they are calling themselves today and it was a complete disaster.

As this is for personal use I don't need any advanced web features and I don't want to pay a fortune. Any recommendations?

I use PowWeb for mine - US based, but dirt cheap and very good. No problems with any of my 4 sites with them, so far.

I alsow use HostGator for one of them, as I was getting someone to migrate data there for me and that was his preferred host. Again, no problems and pretty cheap. I'll probably move it to PowWeb at the end of the year though.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

US based is fine, but can be problematic for support.

My hosting is UK based, UK supported and I'll design the service and price to match your requirements.

email [email protected]

Kevlong

Comment

I post the same question recently

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...b-hosting.html

I ended up going with DataFlame and I'm more than happy

Comment

Since he's not here to advertise himself, I'll do it...

Try Ardesco and see what he can offer you.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by kevlong View Post
            US based is fine, but can be problematic for support.

My hosting is UK based, UK supported and I'll design the service and price to match your requirements.

email [email protected]

Kevlong
            The very few times I've needed to talk to support, I've had no problems - either by email, forum or online chat type support thing.

I've always found UK hosting is a lot more expensive than US, but that may well be changing - I'm not suggesting that you're expensive or anything, I've not priced up for a while.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

If you want UK hosting, I can wholeheatedly recommend 34SP.com. They are based near Manchester and the support team is there not in India. They usually answer support Emails within 20 minutes or so and if you call them, you get to speak to a person straight away not a machine. They are very tolerant of numpty type questions too, that's important for me. Very good service at very modest prices. I have regular websites and "stand alone" server websites hosted with them.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have a web based control panel to control everything live yet (I have looked at a couple but they don't do everything I want them to do and don't integrate well with other software I'm using, current plan is a custom built one).

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them all out.

Comment

Working...
                  X