• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solaris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solaris

In the world of windows the files you run to kick off an application are .exe

Is there a similar thing in solaris?

I have never used Solaris and I'd be interested if anybody knows of any really basic guides to it - free ones!!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

No extension needed - it's the permissions on the file.

If you "ls -l" it shows the permissions - if there is an x in the permissions, then you can execute the file. e.g. -rwxr--r-- shows that you, your group and the world can read it, but only you can write to it or execute it.

If it's a script, then the file may have a .sh extension to show that it's a shell script.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You can find the O'Reilly books online here which have some good references if you need to find out how to do something.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sun regularly do a try before you buy thing where you can get a box for a month or so to play with. I'm sure that you'll have to think up some justification for the trial and suffer sales calls afterwards, but maybe worth a look.

Comment

Cheers everybody - I'll check it all out
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

to execute it on the command line use ./

eg

./myscript.sh

Comment

TBH Solaris to most users is similar to Linux - certainly for familiarisation with scripts etc. Most big vendors are starting to provide certification on Linux, so if it's Oracle or whatever you need to play with, you could even try that.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Tim,

You can always download Solaris 10 and install it on a PC...

Comment

My first ever UNIX shell script i named as "test"
                  Took me 2 days before i finally got it to work.

HINT: Don't call your executable "test"
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Tim,

You can always download Solaris 10 and install it on a PC...
                    Except it doesn't support SATA, so it'll need to be an old one.
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X