• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SQL Sandbox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL Sandbox

My brother's trying to blag his way into a job with a significant amount of SQL involved, only the closest he's ever got to SQL is creating point and click queries in Enterprise Manager.

Are there any SQL sandbox type databases with a web front end anywhere on the net where he can practice creating queries etc...?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Hmmmm - what database is he looking to work with?

MySQL have some sites, I think. Oracle have a lightweight database that you can install, and then use free SQL developer on top of that. No idea what M$ might offer though.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Are there any SQL sandbox type databases with a web front end anywhere on the net where he can practice creating queries etc...?
      Why not just download and install mySQL locally?

Comment

...or Oracle - also free for evaluation use.

If you do go down the MySQL route, you can use PHPMyAdmin and it'll take a lot of the grunt work away for you....
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Alternatively Microsoft offer a free SQL Server 2005 Express Edition which is quite good for cutting the teeth

Comment

http://www.remotecourse.com/classes/sql101/

Comment

or get a job doing something he knows about.

I'm all for stretching yourself for a job but this is taking the wii
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

http://www.headfirstlabs.com/sql_hands_on/

Comment

Thanks for the replies all
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

You could try PostGreSQL or MaxDB.

Comment

Working...
                    X