• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PSU recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSU recommendations?

My main desktop PC is dead and I suspect the PSU which is a bit of a b*gger as it was a really expensive one (Enermax IIRC) which of course is now out of warranty.

Anyway I don't need anything too fancy, I'm running a dual core Athlon, 2Gb RAM, single SATA drive, 2 x DVD drives, SCSI card, internal DAT tape and a bog-standard graphics card.

Any "mid-price" recommendations?

You've got proof that price doesn't necessarilly buy quality. Get one of those 5 quid budget ones off eBuyer and they'll probably last for decades. For a tenner you could get a spare too just incase.

If you must stick to badge snobbery I've found the Antec True Power range to be worth the money. Just not always as quiet as they make out.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I have a 620W version of one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=123&subcat=

Lovely little PSU and the modular cables are great. Just plug in the ones you need and leave the rest in the little canvas sack they provide with the PSU. Makes the insides much less cluttered.

Comment

Get a Tagan.

1. They're very quiet

2. Comes with all the cables you would ever need, and then some.

3. Excellent service - mine first one had a problem with the fan so arranged for someone to come and pick up the unit and they gave me a new one there and then.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          I have a 620W version of one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=123&subcat=

Lovely little PSU and the modular cables are great. Just plug in the ones you need and leave the rest in the little canvas sack they provide with the PSU. Makes the insides much less cluttered.
          I have one of those as well (520W). Only had it for about a month so can't comment on reliability, but the design & build quality seem to be quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
            I have one of those as well (520W). Only had it for about a month so can't comment on reliability, but the design & build quality seem to be quite good.
            I've also found Hiper very good. They also have a 3 year guarantee too.

Comment

Ironically after getting home and dismantling the PC its actually a Tagan in there.

It should still be under warranty (if I can find the receipt) so I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
              Get a Tagan.

1. They're very quiet

2. Comes with all the cables you would ever need, and then some.

3. Excellent service - mine first one had a problem with the fan so arranged for someone to come and pick up the unit and they gave me a new one there and then.

Comment

Seasonic all the way. Got 2 650W PSUs and the new server I built has the X900 in there. All very nice and rock solid.

Comment

Can you remember who you dealt with?

I am being directed to a web site RMA request fro a firm called "nanopoint".

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                  Get a Tagan.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
                    Can you remember who you dealt with?

I am being directed to a web site RMA request fro a firm called "nanopoint".
                    Yep it was Nanopoint. Just supplied them with an address, a date and the serial number of the unit.
                    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
                    X