• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PSU recommendations?"

Collapse

• gadgetman
    replied
    Oops, schoolboy error in my maths. Yes that is way too low then.

May as well stick with cheapo ones and consider them disposable.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    I have a UPS on this one, it hasn't triggered recently.

Also this one is my 'server' so its on 24/7/365 so I guess its done close on 100k hours.
    There is only 8760 hours in a year... If I had a PSU failing on my clients equipment more than once every 5 years I'd be well shot of the supplier!

One instance was in air traffic control where this sort of problem is just not acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    I have a UPS on this one, it hasn't triggered recently.

Also this one is my 'server' so its on 24/7/365 so I guess its done close on 100k hours.

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Have you had a power cut recently, did the lights go dim in the house one night? Voltage spikes are usually the culperate. You might consider installing a surge protector the next time round.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    My iMac uses 200W max! There is no way a PC should need anywhere near 1Kw!!! That is so wasteful it beggars beleaf.

Next time your at the gym on the exercise bike and your pumping iron and the read out says 150 watts... and your sweating like pig... now times that by 6 and your telling me that's what a PC needs to operate?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    As someone who works in reliability PSU's should last in excess of 100,000 hours... and not failing in the lifetime of the user's needs.

Have you had a power cut recently, did the lights go dim in the house one night? Voltage spikes are usually the culperate. You might consider installing a surge protector the next time round.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Guess what, PSU on my other PC died yesterday. This was a mid price one, about £60 ish and died after just over a year, lovely.

I replaced it with a cheapo from 580W jobbie from Maplins (currently on offer at 29.99). Took my RAID array a few hours to recover itself but all seems fine again.

Incidentally I got an RMA and sent the Tagan (see above) back under warranty. They claimed the warranty was void because I had 'modified' the PSU. My crime was to add coloured (mesh) sleeving over the connector wires. So I've let them keep it.

Its cheapo PSU's every time now for me.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Got the parts and resurrected the PC last night - it is now very very fast.

This is before I've attempted any CPU or RAM overclocking. Not sure its worth the effort frankly!

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Thankfully I'm not into hard core gaming on the PC!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    If you intend to run a couple of graphics cards in SLI, it's a necessity.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    A KILOWATT?! Does it double as a fire?

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    These folks make decent PSU's for the performance market.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...r_supply_1010w

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Gone for an ASUS P5KC (£73), Intel Q6600 Retail (£155) from Scan (I get free delivery from them).

The RAM is 2 x 1Gb Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 RAM from Overclockers UK (£40 inc delivery).

Leave a comment:

• KevinS
    replied
    Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'm taking it philosophically and using it as an excuse to upgrade to a quad core beast and 2Gb of highly-overclockable RAM. Only £270 for board, CPU and RAM so not the end of the world.
    Nice - what CPU/mobo and where from (I'm going to be building a QC in the not too distant future)??

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Well whatever happened it took out the motherboard as well!

With the Tagan plugged into the m/b I get no sign of life anywhere.

I bought a cheapish PSU as a temporary measure at the weekend. With this one plugged in I get a power LED lit on the built-in USB card reader.

Power is obviously getting as far as the USB ports but nothing else makes the board spring to life so I reckon its fried

I'm taking it philosophically and using it as an excuse to upgrade to a quad core beast and 2Gb of highly-overclockable RAM. Only £270 for board, CPU and RAM so not the end of the world.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Hmm, no such luck for me. I have to send it back at my expense then wait for them to test it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X