• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free Public WiFi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Public WiFi

Just switched on my laptop at client site - which won't give me network access.

Found a "Free Public Wifi" and connected ok, however when trying to load a web page the bottom left hand corner says "detecting proxy settings" and then times out.

Is this really a free wireless or do I need to do something else to connect ?

Many thanks for any reply....
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post

Found a "Free Public Wifi" and connected ok, however when trying to load a web page the bottom left hand corner says "detecting proxy settings" and then times out.

Seen a few of these around - never been able to connect to anything meaningful.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Seen a few of these around - never been able to connect to anything meaningful.
      The ones in Macdonalds work fine, nothing extra needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        The ones in Macdonalds work fine, nothing extra needed.
        Have the decency to buy a cup of tea at the very least!

Comment

all very well and good, but what do I need to set so that the "detecting proxy settings" finds what it wants and allows me access ?
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Can you ping the outside world??
            The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

I've had the same issues with some of these - I suspect they are in fact secured by MAC addy or some other jiggery pokery.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                I've had the same issues with some of these - I suspect they are in fact secured by MAC addy or some other jiggery pokery.
                Or perhaps just overloaded by the demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post

Sounds like a honeypot to me. A hotspot that pretends to be a hotspot that isn't. It's quite common to be honest.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Google it. It is a benign virus thing. Just means someone near you has a wireless adapter and it inadvertently advertising their connection.

Comment

Working...
                    X