• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Free Public WiFi

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Free Public WiFi"

Collapse

• gadgetman
    replied
    Er there's a world of difference between your scenario and the one above. It could be either so is not necessarily 'benign'.

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Google it. It is a benign virus thing. Just means someone near you has a wireless adapter and it inadvertently advertising their connection.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Google it. It is a benign virus thing. Just means someone near you has a wireless adapter and it inadvertently advertising their connection.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    Just switched on my laptop at client site - which won't give me network access.

Found a "Free Public Wifi" and connected ok, however when trying to load a web page the bottom left hand corner says "detecting proxy settings" and then times out.

Is this really a free wireless or do I need to do something else to connect ?

Many thanks for any reply....
    Sounds like a honeypot to me. A hotspot that pretends to be a hotspot that isn't. It's quite common to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I've had the same issues with some of these - I suspect they are in fact secured by MAC addy or some other jiggery pokery.
    Or perhaps just overloaded by the demand.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I've had the same issues with some of these - I suspect they are in fact secured by MAC addy or some other jiggery pokery.

Leave a comment:

• KevinS
    replied
    Can you ping the outside world??

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    all very well and good, but what do I need to set so that the "detecting proxy settings" finds what it wants and allows me access ?

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    The ones in Macdonalds work fine, nothing extra needed.
    Have the decency to buy a cup of tea at the very least!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Seen a few of these around - never been able to connect to anything meaningful.
    The ones in Macdonalds work fine, nothing extra needed.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird View Post

Found a "Free Public Wifi" and connected ok, however when trying to load a web page the bottom left hand corner says "detecting proxy settings" and then times out.

Seen a few of these around - never been able to connect to anything meaningful.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    started a topic Free Public WiFi

Free Public WiFi

Working...
X