• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop screen temperature issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop screen temperature issues

Recently I have been taking my laptop to the wife's office. When I open the laptop up there sometimes the screen is completely corrupted..flickering and colours all akimbo. I suspect that the screen is very temperature sensitive as after a few minutes it clears up. Also sometimes clears up if I flex the display a bit. Never did this until I started taking it to her office.

If I leave it in the porch on my return and then bring it in and start it up..same thing.

Anyone else had a laptop do the same thing? My Acer never did this. Though it had other issues with the display. I'm thinking of calling in support and getting it replaced. Only issue is that the little one spilled milk on it a while back...hasn't caused any issues but I suspect the HP people might point at the milk as the cause.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Anyone else had a laptop do the same thing? My Acer never did this. Though it had other issues with the display. I'm thinking of calling in support and getting it replaced. Only issue is that the little one spilled milk on it a while back...hasn't caused any issues but I suspect the HP people might point at the milk as the cause.
    breast milk

I've never had any problems like that with the laptops I've had.

I used to leave my permie ones in the boot sometimes and that was in freezing temperatures. They still worked ok though, the panel was just a bit sluggish until it warmed up. Permie laptops were a mixture of Toshibas and HPs. I wouldn't treat my own equipment like that obviously!

Sounds like yours is borked, time to call the helpline and try out the warranty. You might be ok, depends on how severe the milk spillage was
    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Yes, have an ancient Microsave with the same problem. Keep it just to check backward compatibility of progs. Ok if left in a warm office before turning on, otherwise lines all mixed up and blurred. Never spilt anything on it.

Not sure that milk would get into a screen as they are usually pretty well sealed except at bottom where the cables are or into the main PC boards as there will be an aluminium plate beneath the keyboard.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Well, today the screen truely way garbled. And after letting it warm up for 15 minutes it still didn't clear up. I tried my usual flexing to see if that would help. nope. So I closed it, let it go into suspend mode and then opened it. The screen was crystal clear and stable.
        Don't have any idea why that would happen. Its either:
        faulty video chip
        perhaps some milk got into screen connectors
        faulty vista

No clue. Will have to now call in the HP repair man.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I'd try it on an external monitor. If it goes funny there then I'd suggest the video card in the laptop. If it's fine then I'd suspect the screen in the laptop.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Probably Lactose intolerant
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              I'd try it on an external monitor. If it goes funny there then I'd suggest the video card in the laptop. If it's fine then I'd suspect the screen in the laptop.
              Spot the tester, and spot the Developer!

Comment

Working...
              X