• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MP3/video player recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP3/video player recommendations

I am looking for a flash-based MP3/video player with the following characteristics:

- flash based, at least 4gb storage standard
    - pocket friendly (weight and size)
    - gym-friendly (most don’t allow camera phones)
    - supports drag and drop file transfer (without drivers)
    - 2” or larger screen
    - supports playback of ‘standard’ resolution video e.g. 624 x 352, 640 x 480 etc in xvid or divx format without the need for conversion or transcoding

I suspect the last one is the difficult one to fulfil but its an absolute must for me. My current solution is my Vario III phone (aka HTC Tytn II). Unfortunately it’s a bit on the large size and is not suitable for the gym. I also own an Archos AV500 which meets most of the above but also fails on the size/weight criteria (it has a hard drive rather than being flash-based).

I have considered the Creative Zen which looks ideal except it requires video conversion. Does my perfect device exist?

Archos do a 4GB solid state version of the 605 wifi although thats probably more than you need - functionality-wise.

Comment

Thanks for that. After your post I just researched in Amazon and unfortunately it got a bit of a panning (lots of extras to pay for, slow wi-fi, file system corruption, very slow charging, washed-out colours).

Shame, as my AV500 is brilliant.

Anything else to look at?

Comment

Is the iPod nano suitable? It is very slick and also niceand compact. Perhaps the screen is too small though?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I appreciate the reply but it fails on drag and drop without drivers and transcoding.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Is the iPod nano suitable? It is very slick and also niceand compact. Perhaps the screen is too small though?

Comment

Sansa e200. Standard MP2, drag and drop, firmware updates (windows req.), 4, 6 and 8Gbyte, supports SD cards for further expansion.

Comment

Anyone know if the iTouch is up to the job?
              Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

The same as the Nano.

Comment

It seems to use a proprietary uncompressed video format (like the Zen V Plus) which actually makes the videos larger than the originals.

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
                  Sansa e200. Standard MP2, drag and drop, firmware updates (windows req.), 4, 6 and 8Gbyte, supports SD cards for further expansion.

Comment

Sorry meant MP3 for the music; you get a conversion utility for the videos which I haven't really tried.

Comment

Working...
                    X