• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ADSL connection suddenly dropped to 48kbps - not a fault according to UK Online

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADSL connection suddenly dropped to 48kbps - not a fault according to UK Online

I've got 2Mbps ADSL connection with UK Online. I've normally been getting reasonably good speeds around 1.8Mbps (according to speedtest.net).

Connection between router and exchange dropped out last night around midnight and came back around half an hour later.

Since the connection came back I've been getting really poor connection speeds - 48kbps according to speedtest.net. However, my router is seeing a downstream connection speed of 2048kbps.

I phoned ISP (UK Online) and they said they could see that there was some scheduled work by BT at the exchange last night.

My theory is that BT noddyed up something at the exchange last night which has caused the problem. UK Online suggested I talk to BT, but I tried calling them and they refuse to speak to me about Internet problems as it has to be logged with BT Wholesale via the ISP.

Called UK Online again and they refuse to log anything with BT Wholesale as the DSLAM at the exchange and my router are both reporting full 2048kbps so they won't acknowledge a fault. (Must be a dodgy cable or virus on my computer according to them).

I can't see how it can be anything on my side, since I haven't changed anything.

Any ideas what to do next?

I think I probably just have to wait and hope it fixes itself. I expect the reason UK Online won't log anything with BTW is because they will get charged for it.

This is a good reason to buy everything BB related from BT, Seeing as they supply the product anyway.

That said, your diagnosis seems likely. You'll probably have to wait for them to sort it out themselves.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

They should be able to do a speed test themselves instead of relying on what your router says.

I was with UKOnline a couple of years ago and upgraded from thier 8mbit service to thier 24mbit service and got a drop in speed. I downgraded again and sent the router back but stupidly didn't think to do a factory reset on it. A week later my internet connection died and it took them 2 weeks to work out that somebody else was using my login details on thier network.

First they accused me of sharing my user details so I went through my systems with a fine tooth comb to see if I could find any evidence of somebody getting in to get hold of my user details.
      I found absolutely nothing so asked them to check thier systems. They were still adamant that I had shared my user details and were making noises about me braking thier T&C. It finally clicked that I had not factory reset my router so I started asking them about procedures with routers that had been returned. First I was told they were destroyed, then that they factory reset everything that comes back, and finally that they just send them out again without doing anything and that is most likely how somebody else got my account details.

Overall a bunch of muppets. I never got an apology and it took me 2 months to get a refund for the two weeks downtime I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        This is a good reason to buy everything BB related from BT, Seeing as they supply the product anyway.

That said, your diagnosis seems likely. You'll probably have to wait for them to sort it out themselves.
        Agreed.

Which is why I stay with BT even though there are cheaper providers available.

Comment

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

No seriously though. Turn off your router for at least an hour or over night if you can stop downloading royalty free educational material off the net for that long. If you have an ADSL MAX connection it reduces the speed if it picks up errors on your line. BT may have poked your line and caused errors on it while doing their 'maintenenace'. These errors clear and a new max speed is set if you shut your router down for and extended period or gradually over a week or 10 days of error free use.

K

Comment

Originally posted by Keldin View Post

No seriously though. Turn off your router for at least an hour or over night if you can stop downloading royalty free educational material off the net for that long. K
            Ah those "long term" memory routers eh???

If you have an ADSL MAX connection it reduces the speed if it picks up errors on your line. K
            Hmmmm, WTF is ADSL MAX????

BT may have poked your line and caused errors on it while doing their 'maintenenace'. These errors clear and a new max speed is set if you shut your router down for and extended period or gradually over a week or 10 days of error free use. K
            Ah, the long term memory router is back again!!!! ( Though its slightly longer this time)

Dude fantastic lines u got a place on my support team anytime with excuses like that!!!! %)

Comment

No seriously though. Turn off your router for at least an hour or over night if you can stop downloading royalty free educational material off the net for that long. If you have an ADSL MAX connection it reduces the speed if it picks up errors on your line. BT may have poked your line and caused errors on it while doing their 'maintenenace'. These errors clear and a new max speed is set if you shut your router down for and extended period or gradually over a week or 10 days of error free use.

K
              Thanks - I'll give that a go. I'm not on ADSL MAX and router is reporting 2048kbps connection. It's worth a try though.

I'm also getting speeds up to 300kbps today, so that's a bit better than yesterday. Hopefully it'll clear up in a couple of days...

Comment

Just checked mine (BT Broadband) on speedtest.net.

SpeedTest Result

Download 5417 kb/s

Upload 381 kb/s
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by JailBreak View Post

Hmmmm, WTF is ADSL MAX????
                  If you're going to make ignorant and derisive comments about someone's post you should perhaps try not admitting to knowing nothing about the subject matter in the same post. That way people will assume you're just drunk and not an idiot.

Ah those "long term" memory routers eh???

Ah, the long term memory router is back again!!!! ( Though its slightly longer this time)
                  It's got nothing to do with the router but since you don't know anything about the subject matter I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Try using google (that's http://www.google.co.uk in case you have trouble finding it) and see if you can find anything out about adsl max - aka maxdsl.

Dude fantastic lines u got a place on my support team anytime with excuses like that!!!! %)
                  No thanks. I've worked for enough idiots and have already reached my quota for this year.

K

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
                    Thanks - I'll give that a go. I'm not on ADSL MAX and router is reporting 2048kbps connection. It's worth a try though.

I'm also getting speeds up to 300kbps today, so that's a bit better than yesterday. Hopefully it'll clear up in a couple of days...
                    How's it going today minstrel?

K

Comment

Working...
                    X