• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VMWare v Microsoft Virtual PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare v Microsoft Virtual PC

Is anyone using VMWare Server or Microsoft Virtual Server? Which is best in your opinion?

And what is the difference between VMWare Server and VMWare Workstation?

All are free downloads apart from VMWare Workstation.

VMWare vs MS - would use vmware. I installed the MS product on a new PC - then renamed the PC. Couldnt get it to work, had to uninstall eventually, then find docs on how to REALLY uninstall it and reinstall. VMWare coped with no major issues, with the PC rename. Windows 2008 server hiccups a bit in a vmware session, but runs ok, the odd error that vista drivers arent supported properly. As soon as I got proper product cds - rather than having to use pre-prepared m$ virtual machines, I stopped using the ms product and have only used the vmware server.

Comment

Not tried the MS one, but I've got two VMWare XP installations running on my machine at home. Means that I can install things in different environments without them conflicting, so I have Oracle R12 in one machine, and Oracle 11.5.10 in another.

No problems so far, touch wood.

Oracle also do a VM product, but I'd stick with VMware as it's tried and tested.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

"Oracle also do a VM product, but I'd stick with VMware as it's tried and tested. "

They do the b@stards. Made me look really stupid, We had just got signoff on a million dollar oracle installation and the bastards launched Oracle VM. Knocked 50 bucks off the VMWare share price.
        Last edited by MarillionFan; 6 January 2008, 10:50.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just managed to persuade my client to go down the VMWare Server route after being asked exactly the same question.

I believe the VMWare product is better than Virtual PC for one reason - memory management. When a VM running in Virtual PC starts it takes all of the allocated memory from the host immediately (e.g. a VM allocated 2Gb of memory will take the full 2Gb from the host on start-up); VMWare Server and Player however use this value as a maximum and only takes memory from the host as required, ensuring the host remains responsive at all times. Even when I've had a full Visual Studio environment running in a VM for a full day, never had a problem with the host (have had lots of problems when running VPC).

A couple of issues with VMware, but no show-stoppers - neither player or server like Vista (what does) and server is the only one that allows you to create new machines. Player only allows you to, err.... play them.

Best of all, both Server and Player are FREE!!

Comment

The more advanced options in VMWare make it to me just awsome in comparison to almost anything else

VMWare ESX running on a bladecentre will with no intervention switch a running host system over to another blade without manual intervention (if a hardware problem comes up).

Server side VMWare rocks!

The VMWare client when running under windows does suffer from well I can only call them Windows Issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
              VMWare vs MS - would use vmware. I installed the MS product on a new PC - then renamed the PC. Couldnt get it to work, had to uninstall eventually, then find docs on how to REALLY uninstall it and reinstall. VMWare coped with no major issues, with the PC rename. Windows 2008 server hiccups a bit in a vmware session, but runs ok, the odd error that vista drivers arent supported properly. As soon as I got proper product cds - rather than having to use pre-prepared m$ virtual machines, I stopped using the ms product and have only used the vmware server.
              You know, saying M$ makes people respect you more and also makes you more sexually attractive.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Another thing VMWare has over the Microsoft offering is multi screen support. I have had hassles using VirtualPC on dual screen (with vpc on fullscreen) and switching between the host and the virtual. Wouldn't even need to do that if it had dual screen support.

Comment

Working...
                X