• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - I'm in IPtorrent with no idea!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - I'm in IPtorrent with no idea!

Can anyone point a complete newbie to an idiot's guide to torrenting?

I've got Winrar and utorrent but I've got to get my firewall to let it through ~(and then there's security issues that no body I've spoken to seems interested in..

I'm sure you guys must do it...

I've got a new PVR that needs filling tomorrow...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

When you set up uTorrent, it should give you a port number to try. You can then check that the configuration is right, and it opens a web page. If it's not right, there should be a guide on their website for your firewall and router to get it working.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

go here to set up bit torrent on your router...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Well, I broke the router so had to back out. I'll try again later...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Well, I broke the router so had to back out. I'll try again later...
          If it stopped working because of the settings you did then it should be possible to reset it to factory settings, I had to do it a few times myself...

Comment

Thanks Alexi - I'll keep you posted...

Comment

If it stopped working because of the settings you did then it should be possible to reset it to factory settings, I had to do it a few times myself...
              Yeh I've had to do that too, resetting to the original settings has usually sorted any problems.

Good luck!
              That boy go raaaaaaa
              Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

I'd strongly suggest you get yourself some additional 'protection' e.g. PeerGuardian if you are planning on doing any serious torrenting.

Comment

I followed the instructions on that site for the Belkin router I use, and it still didnt work. I am just doing it without an open port, the torrents still seem to work, if a little more slowly than I would like, usually aorund th 5-6 kbs mark... but sometimes up to 200kbs.

I am guessing thats very slow by normal standards, but I can generally get the programs I want overnight.

Comment

Torrent speeds depend on the number of people in the swarm and their upload speeds - open ports just allow people to connect to you, without your machine initiating the connection (but generally means faster torrenting)..

I am using a product called TorrentFlux - web interface on a headless Linux machine..
                    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Working...
                    X