• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP + VMWare + OpenSuse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP + VMWare + OpenSuse

I need help!

I've installed VMware on windows XP
    I have a basic install CD for openSuse

I'm trying to do a full install via FTP onto the VMWare virtual machine, i've installed fedora successfully before.

Currently assigned 512MB ram and 20GB of hard drive space to the virtual machine

I seem to be able to connect to the FTP Servers, the install gets as far as Loading Installation Sytem, the status bar goes from empty to full over the course of 5 minutes. Then nothing happens for 10, then it exits back to the main install menu.

Tried a whole bunch of different FTP servers all with the same result
    Coffee's for closers

downloaded a more recent mini installer for opensuse 10.3 and its working now using the ftp site:
    ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/opensuse/di...10.3/repo/oss/
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Why don't you just boot and install from the CD? I run numerous SuSE (and other) images in VMWare under XP, Vista and Linux and have never used FTP for the install, probably because of the networking issues.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Why don't you just boot and install from the CD? I run numerous SuSE (and other) images in VMWare under XP, Vista and Linux and have never used FTP for the install, probably because of the networking issues.
        I probably will just download the CD's if i don't get it finished soon, the install now keeps complaining that it can't see the ftp server, couple of retries and it gets through but its still annoying!
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Opensuse 10.3 'free' with December's Linux magazine at £5.99.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
            Opensuse 10.3 'free' with December's Linux magazine at £5.99.
            Nice! saves on the downloads.
            Will see how this install goes, its currently at 20% after 2 hours
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

less than 1GB Left! (out of 2.21)
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Installed... and posting from inside a VM linux installation
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Nice! saves on the downloads.
                  Will see how this install goes, its currently at 20% after 2 hours
                  Did you do the install from the free CD then, or download?

Torn between doing another XP install this weekend or going Oracle Unbreakable Linux. Need to think about it carefully...
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Did you do the install from the free CD then, or download?

Torn between doing another XP install this weekend or going Oracle Unbreakable Linux. Need to think about it carefully...
                    Downloaded a small install CD, all this does is load up the linux core kernal with an install package. (With VMware you can assign an ISO image as the CD drive for the virtual machine.)
                    You then direct the install utility to the resource which contains the main install files, in my case an FTP server.
                    This then downloads a large install manager which walks you through the installation.

Apart from the network here being slightly flakey, it all went without a hitch. Took best part of a day to download and install everything (2.2GB installed) but if it was to take longer then it is possible to suspend the VM and resume it the next day.

As soon as the install was complete I shut the VM down properly and backed up the Virtual Machine directory, now if i break the installation i can quickly revert back to the fresh installation.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X