• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats The Best Drive Imaging/pc Backup Solution Out There?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats The Best Drive Imaging/pc Backup Solution Out There?

Hi all,
    over the years I have used Ghost and trueimage for backing up my pc's. I have also used partition margic and Acronis disk director for the partitioning side. Due to age it is now getting a bit tedious creating multiple backups with 2 different tools...

further I always find that partition margic always seems to complain about partition problems for any partition created with acronis related tools

I am not too keen on symantec products (except NIS and the old DOS Ghost) because they have too much bloatware unless convince otherwise that they are infact good products

questions are:-

1) what are the best software for imaging a partition/drive from DOS - must be able to backup to USB
    2) What is the best software for daily incremental backup of PC's in windows Environment ?

unrelated
    3) I only use Norton Internet security for protecting my PC and that has always worked a charm with no problems ever. maybe bcos i dont visit dodgy sites ehh !. My only gripe with NIS is the hug on resources. Is there any other software(s) that I can use to replace NIS which will do the same/better job AND will still use less resources OR should I just stick with NIS?

cheers

css_jay99

Windows Home Server

Have you looked at this?

It will backup all your (Windows) PCs on a schedule and provide shared storage.

There is an emergency boot cd which allegedly allows you to restore to different hardware

Comment

Originally posted by spoons View Post
      Have you looked at this?

It will backup all your (Windows) PCs on a schedule and provide shared storage.

There is an emergency boot cd which allegedly allows you to restore to different hardware
      new product, not yet out and cant trust my backups with MS. further the two main market leaders i think are Acronis and Symantec.

I have a feeling I will be sticking with acronis alone unless someone has got issues with it

Comment

I have been on the beta since June without any issues.

It has now been released, and I will have to buy a copy as mine expires in December!

Not had any real issues with it, and it will run on a fairly low spec box. You just have to forget about trying to manage it as a server.

Comment

) I only use Norton Internet security for protecting my PC and that has always worked a charm with no problems ever. maybe bcos i dont visit dodgy sites ehh !. My only gripe with NIS is the hug on resources. Is there any other software(s) that I can use to replace NIS which will do the same/better job AND will still use less resources OR should I just stick with NIS?
          http://www.f-secure.com/

The Internet Security Suite gets the job done. Been using 2005,2006,2007 and now 2008 versions, with no hassle nor infections now.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Norton Save & Restore 2 (Vista comp)

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
              cant trust my backups with MS.
              And yet you can trust them to provide your OS

Just for being so self-contradictory: can't

Comment

Have a look on the technical forum at moneysavingexpert.com. They have some good advice on what's best, most reliable and cheapest. There are some good freebies out there that you can use.

I would get the exact links for you, but it's blocked from here.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Time Machine
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Acronis. Their products rock.

Comment

Working...
                    X