• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap College PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap College PC

I want to buy my sister a PC for her to do her college work on and may be surf the web, nothing fancy, budget max £350. Anyone got any recommendations, both new or places that do second hand refurbs ? I noticed nearlly all the new stuff runs VISTA, would I be able to run Office 2000 on that ? Ive not used VISTA and know nothing about PC's really.

Cheers

Vista is sorta tulipe, hammers your disk and occasionally has a minute's nap for no obvious reason, but useable enough if you keep a separate user ID just to do instals on. Office 2000 does run on Vista and there are free upgrades for it. Common bug reported on net, and I have never been able to cure is that it takes over half a minute to open an office file initially. (Some on net report much longer)
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Get a cheap £350 laptop and put Win Xp on it.

Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Problem solved.
        Yep it will fly too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Problem solved.
          Ive got an XP CD for my home PC, but someone mentioned that as I have used it on my home PC it wont work again on a different PC, is that correct that the CD is tied to the machine. XP seems pricey at £150plus on its own.

Seen this at Dabs has XP professional on £334, does it seem a good deal ? http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...1012&InMerch=1
          Last edited by MobileCheese; 13 October 2007, 11:21.

Comment

Originally posted by MobileCheese View Post
            Ive got an XP CD for my home PC, but someone mentioned that as I have used it on my home PC it wont work again on a different PC, is that correct that the CD is tied to the machine. XP seems pricey at £150plus on its own.

Seen this at Dabs has XP professional on £334, does it seem a good deal ? http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...1012&InMerch=1
            Yes, that's right - the licence is tied to the computer, or the company if you have a site licence.

Comet are selling an Acer Aspire with Vista Home Premium for £329 or there abouts (my sister has just rung me to ask my opinion).

In answer to your original question, I see no reason why Office 2000 would not work, but students (and teachers) can get a cheap licence for MS Office anyway, so it could be a good opportunity to upgrade.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

New Dell InspironTM 530 with 17in flat panel, currently retailing for £359 on their website. That includes VAT and delivery. Not bad!

Comment

Use Google & eBay. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MobileCheese View Post

Download the Black XP 3.90 from a guy called Gamerman...it comes with lots of free software...apparently...and I have heard that it never needs activating either ;-)))
                  "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Working...
                  X