• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless network (part 2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a bridge. There are plenty around. I got one for the wife recently from Buffalo which had a four port switch included.

The bridge will connect wirelessly to your router and you use a cat 5 cable from the laptop to the bridge. You can then move the bridge and laptop around the house whereever you wish to work.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

The bridge seems to be the way forward - thanks everyone.

Comment

I have 2 ethernet ports on me PC, one which connects to the BT home hub for t'intertron with a Cat5. If I want to connect up an Xbox to access the net can I just connect it up with the other port on the PC? What manner of whichcraft do I have to perform in the settings to bridge the connection?
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
          I have 2 ethernet ports on me PC, one which connects to the BT home hub for t'intertron with a Cat5. If I want to connect up an Xbox to access the net can I just connect it up with the other port on the PC? What manner of whichcraft do I have to perform in the settings to bridge the connection?
          PC jiggery pokery when it comes to bridging isn't my forte - but to connect your xbox you could just get two wireless bridges and essentially run them as an ethernet point to point connection - one end plugs into your xbox, one into your hub and away you go.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Yeah, getting a wireless adaptor for the xbox would do the trick, but the reliability of the wifi on the BT Home hub (at least, my one) is utter pants so would like to use cables. Sure, I could run a second cable from the hub to the xbox but since it would go past the PC, I was hoping I could use the PC as a kind of router itself and therefore save another cable being nailed into the skirting board.

Comment

Hmm, looks like I just need to select both connections, right click and select Bridge connections. Connect up xbox with crossover cable and voila.

Link for anyone else that might be interested in the future

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                Yeah, getting a wireless adaptor for the xbox would do the trick, but the reliability of the wifi on the BT Home hub (at least, my one) is utter pants so would like to use cables. Sure, I could run a second cable from the hub to the xbox but since it would go past the PC, I was hoping I could use the PC as a kind of router itself and therefore save another cable being nailed into the skirting board.
                Replace the BT Home hub then.

I love Linksys kit - I have a wireless router & 8 a separate port switch in my study, another hub in my son's bedroom - wired to the hub in the study, and a wireless access point for the PS2 in the playroom - all Linksys.

Yes we have a few computers in the house

Comment

Personally (and at work) I've had nothing but bad experience with Linksys, through many models and over many years.

I always go for Netgear kit. But I'm sure now someone will pop up with bad experiences of Netgear

My house is partially wired for ethernet (I had all of the bedrooms, study and living room done whilst it was being built) and I have a Pre-N Netgear wireless router for the kids laptops.

For reliable ad-hoc connections where I don't have ethernet I use Homeplugs.

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                  Replace the BT Home hub then.

I love Linksys kit - I have a wireless router & 8 a separate port switch in my study, another hub in my son's bedroom - wired to the hub in the study, and a wireless access point for the PS2 in the playroom - all Linksys.

Yes we have a few computers in the house

Comment

A better solution for the Xbox.

Put a cat5 splitter on either end of the cable that connects your PC to the hub.

http://www.homestead.co.uk/productca...tegoryID=51338

You may need a couple of these depending on how your cable is terminated.

http://www.revealcable.co.uk/acatalo...%5f2622%2ehtml

you only use 2 of the 4 pairs in a cat5 cable so you can utilise the ones that aren't used, that way your PC doesn't need to be switched on to play Xbox live and you only need to run a cable as far as your PC connection.

Total cost... a tenner.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X