• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless network (part 2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless network (part 2)

I have a BT homehub (in the lounge) and a PC (in the office upstairs) that connects to the hub wirelessly.
    I now need to connect a laptop to the wireless network (only to get an internet connection) also from the upstairs office, but am unable to connect using wireless.

Apart from trailing an ethernet cable through the house, how can I connect the laptop ??

I'm thinking some sort of unit that talks wireless to the hub that I can plug the laptop into.

Thanks in advance.

If your PC connects wirelessly then the laptop should too... What do you get when you try and connect the laptop? Can it see the wireless connection at all?
    my ferret is your ferret

Comment

If your laptop does not have built in wireless (if it is more than 3 years old, it probably doesn't) then you will need to buy a wireless dongle/adaptor and plug it into your laptop via the USB or expansion port. The software with the adaptor will lead you through the connection process.
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Sorry - I didn't make myself clear.

Its a work laptop and I'm unable to use it wirelessly (i.e. not allowed to use a dongle etc) - don't ask why - its just the rules !!

Comment

You can run a network through plugs these days - Maplin sell some adapters that do it here.

Plug your wired hub into the mains, via an adapter, then have another wire from another mains socket into the laptop.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

network your laptop to your pc upstairs and get your pc to share its internet connection - so effectively you use your upstairs PC as a router for your laptop.

Comment

Depends how badly you want it - but you could either get a wireless bridge (Two to be precise) and connect each end device to one.

Or you could get an ethernet over power adapter (Each vendors name seems to change for this) as well - I've used both and I much prefer the wireless bridge, saying that the wiring in my house is very old which could explain why I thought it was pretty average performance.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I have these and they are flawless - good enough to play Xbox live over.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Tried the same ones - if you're wiring is old you may want to think again - I get something like 40% packet loss using them, not really acceptable.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    Tried the same ones - if you're wiring is old you may want to think again - I get something like 40% packet loss using them, not really acceptable.
                    Or just rewire your entire house! (including ethernet cables)

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X