• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web-based email at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a laptop and 3G (HSDPA) card but got fed up hauling it into work each day. Phone is the way to go.

I used to have an M31000 (aka Tytn, Vario 2 etc) which I didn't get on with.

Any other recommendations for a 'smartphone'? I don't mind about size as it won't be main mobile so features and functionality are more important. Also must be off contract (I don't need yet another one!).

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    As already suggested, don't use you client's internet to access YourCo's e-mails. Buy yourself a smartphone with e-mail access/and or laptop with 3G card.

Comment

As mentioned on other threads, I recommend the SE P990i. 3G, internet, e-mail, touchscreen, wi-fi, qwerty-keyboard, etc, etc. Never had a problem with it and does the job.

Also recently bought TomTom software for it so no need for a separate satnav device.
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Sounds good - does it support HSDPA?

I managed to get the SIM from my 3 USB broadband gizmo to work in my main phone (unlocked SE W880i on O2) last night so I should be able to use any handset.

I'm actively considering the Nokia 6120C which is 109 ukp on PAYG with 3. Gets good reviews and does HSDPA so I'll get the full speed out of it and shouldn't have any data config issues.

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
        As mentioned on other threads, I recommend the SE P990i. 3G, internet, e-mail, touchscreen, wi-fi, qwerty-keyboard, etc, etc. Never had a problem with it and does the job.

Also recently bought TomTom software for it so no need for a separate satnav device.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
          Sounds good - does it support HSDPA?
          'Friad not, it's UMTS/GPRA so no HSDPA. It's the same with the SE P1i, the successor to the P990i.

If HSDPA is a must, the Vario II is probably your best bet.
          Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

I'm thinking about either the HTC P3600 or Tytn II.
            They seem to be totally converged - GSM UMTS GPS Wifi Bluetooth
            so pda, phone, gps, and pc (email, web & office) in one.
            not that I'd advise using one as a PC all the time.

the Tytn II has HSDPA and a QWERTY keyboard, over the P3600.
            But then its another £100

Not sure of the benefits of HSDPA in a PDA smartphone though
            I have a datacard for the laptop - but can't see me surfing a lot on a PDA

Comment

Working...
            X