• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Web-based email at work"

Collapse

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I'm thinking about either the HTC P3600 or Tytn II.
    They seem to be totally converged - GSM UMTS GPS Wifi Bluetooth
    so pda, phone, gps, and pc (email, web & office) in one.
    not that I'd advise using one as a PC all the time.

the Tytn II has HSDPA and a QWERTY keyboard, over the P3600.
    But then its another £100

Not sure of the benefits of HSDPA in a PDA smartphone though
    I have a datacard for the laptop - but can't see me surfing a lot on a PDA

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by mbriody View Post
    Sounds good - does it support HSDPA?
    'Friad not, it's UMTS/GPRA so no HSDPA. It's the same with the SE P1i, the successor to the P990i.

If HSDPA is a must, the Vario II is probably your best bet.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Sounds good - does it support HSDPA?

I managed to get the SIM from my 3 USB broadband gizmo to work in my main phone (unlocked SE W880i on O2) last night so I should be able to use any handset.

I'm actively considering the Nokia 6120C which is 109 ukp on PAYG with 3. Gets good reviews and does HSDPA so I'll get the full speed out of it and shouldn't have any data config issues.

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    As mentioned on other threads, I recommend the SE P990i. 3G, internet, e-mail, touchscreen, wi-fi, qwerty-keyboard, etc, etc. Never had a problem with it and does the job.

Also recently bought TomTom software for it so no need for a separate satnav device.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    As mentioned on other threads, I recommend the SE P990i. 3G, internet, e-mail, touchscreen, wi-fi, qwerty-keyboard, etc, etc. Never had a problem with it and does the job.

Also recently bought TomTom software for it so no need for a separate satnav device.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Got a laptop and 3G (HSDPA) card but got fed up hauling it into work each day. Phone is the way to go.

I used to have an M31000 (aka Tytn, Vario 2 etc) which I didn't get on with.

Any other recommendations for a 'smartphone'? I don't mind about size as it won't be main mobile so features and functionality are more important. Also must be off contract (I don't need yet another one!).

As already suggested, don't use you client's internet to access YourCo's e-mails. Buy yourself a smartphone with e-mail access/and or laptop with 3G card.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Also blocked - bugger!

Originally posted by Fran View Post
    I found this works well!

http://mail2web.com/

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by Fran View Post
    I found this works well!

This is an interesting site. But do you really trust giving away your email addy and password to this strange front end?

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    As already suggested, don't use you client's internet to access YourCo's e-mails. Buy yourself a smartphone with e-mail access/and or laptop with 3G card.
    Indeed. I got one of 'em recently for just this reason. Makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    I found this works well!

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Send me a PM with your login details and I'll collect your email and send them to you as PMs.

For security reasons, I'll need to know your date of birth, first pet and mothers maiden name.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    They blocked that one too :-(

Think I'll just play by the rules, as advised, until I can get a phone with decent internet capabilities.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    My client blocks the usual Yahoo and Hotmail email portals too but I can sneakily read my Yahoo emails via the Y!mobile site.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by mbriody View Post
    Current gig is using something caller Webwasher which filters out the standard webmail portals.

Are there any sites out there where you can view your email e.g. Yahoo via a company-friendly web page?
    There are some ways around it but the chances are that they are using Webwasher for a reason, and anyone found to be deliberately circumventing it will not be looked on favorably.

Best bet is to talk to the support guys. Webwasher usually pops up a name or email address for you to contact if you want a site unblocked. You could also set up your web mail to automatically forward mail to the email account you use on the client site. Otherwise get a web enabled phone or PDA and use that.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    started a topic Web-based email at work

Web-based email at work

Current gig is using something caller Webwasher which filters out the standard webmail portals.

Are there any sites out there where you can view your email e.g. Yahoo via a company-friendly web page?

Working...
X